Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Crazy Keyboard

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,195 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 25 October 2005 - 11:21 PM

I've a Toshiba laptop, A70. Is it Just me? But often as I'm typing I look up to see. I'm typing on a different line or back a few words or in the middle of a word some where . It can be frustrating. Does this happpen to anyone else? Is there a fix. Am I hitting some hotkey?
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2005 - 11:28 AM

That can be caused by too many temp files sometimes. Clean those up and see if it gets any better.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 72,195 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2005 - 11:40 AM

Will try that and let you know thanx

Edited by jgweed, 26 October 2005 - 11:44 AM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 72,195 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2005 - 04:09 PM

That can be caused by too many temp files sometimes. Clean those up and see if it gets any better.

Are there any other temporary files other than the ones under internet options?

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2005 - 04:18 PM

Thousands sometimes. Have you tried Ccleaner? Or you can just go to Start>Find or Search>Files and Folders and Look in the C: Drive and search for *.tmp and delete everything it finds.

www.Ccleaner.com

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#6 Lily Livered

Lily Livered

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2005 - 05:47 PM

I had this problem too when I first got my laptop a couple months ago and assumed that I was somehow causing the problem by inadvertantly touching the mousepad while typing....

Seems as my typing on the laptop improved, that problem has also lessened.

Just a thought. I'm in no position of offering advice...just seemed familiar to my similar problem with getting accustomed to typing on a laptop.
Dell Inspiron 6000--Mobile Intel Pentium M 730J/1.60GHz--512MB--60 or 80GB HD, can't remember for sure--wireless--XP Home SP2
AVG--ZoneAlarm--Ad-Aware SE--Spybot S&D--SpywareBlaster--SpywareGuard--Ewido--a-squared--CCleaner--HJT--IE and Firefox

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 72,195 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2005 - 06:32 PM

Thousands sometimes. Have you tried Ccleaner? Or you can just go to Start>Find or Search>Files and Folders and Look in the C: Drive and search for *.tmp and delete everything it finds.

www.Ccleaner.com

I have downloaded that a few days ago after seeing many refs to it here at BC. just haven't run it yet. like to wait for the weekend ,I'm a bit new progaphobic from earlier experiences. But I will do both to see. Thanx Leurgy
Pete

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 72,195 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2005 - 06:57 PM

I had this problem too when I first got my laptop a couple months ago and assumed that I was somehow causing the problem by inadvertantly touching the mousepad while typing....

Seems as my typing on the laptop improved, that problem has also lessened.

Just a thought. I'm in no position of offering advice...just seemed familiar to my similar problem with getting accustomed to typing on a laptop.

I wanted to thank you for your input. I also disabled the pad figuring it to be the culprit. it seems to me though that some days are worse than others. the freaky thing is that I just don't understand how hitting a wrong letter can put you in a different location in the text body...puzzling.. :thumbsup:

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 26 October 2005 - 08:44 PM

Have you noticed if it happens in Java apps. You may want to uninstall Java JRE and re-install Java JRE 1.4.1 I would not install Java 5.0 update right now. I had an issue with online content not working right. When I uninstalled the up date it went away. I have heard some friends complain too.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#10 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 26 October 2005 - 09:18 PM

We have had the same issue at work with some laptops. Most of the users that I have talked to agree that they have accidently touched the touchpad.

I used to have a NEC laptop with a touchpad located just below the keyboard. I would be typing away, look up at the screen, and the text was being typed into another location in my document. Again, I was touching the touchpad by mistake. Or, sometimes it would do it if I hit the keys a little harder than I should have.

Once you get comfortable with the laptop, it will happen a lot less frequently. It did with mine.
JC

#11 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 72,195 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2005 - 10:21 PM

We have had the same issue at work with some laptops. Most of the users that I have talked to agree that they have accidently touched the touchpad.

I used to have a NEC laptop with a touchpad located just below the keyboard. I would be typing away, look up at the screen, and the text was being typed into another location in my document. Again, I was touching the touchpad by mistake. Or, sometimes it would do it if I hit the keys a little harder than I should have.

Once you get comfortable with the laptop, it will happen a lot less frequently. It did with mine.

JC and Acklan thanx
As for the java it'll probably happen to me right here in this response. It might be the hard type thing. It gets to be really annoying . As I need to keep looking to see if I'm ok. I'll Pay real attention to it. Maybe I'll solve the 'Laptop Keyboard Mystery 'and become famous. Will advise when I've tried all these things.. Well it didn't happen because I really slowed down so I wouldn't have to retype this.

Edited by boopme, 26 October 2005 - 10:22 PM.

#12 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 27 October 2005 - 12:10 AM

Sounds good.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users