Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

new motherboard=new windows 7???

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Blaze413

Blaze413

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 02 August 2010 - 08:18 AM

Ive heard from these forums and other sites that if i were to get another motherboard that i would in turn have to buy another copy of windows 7 (i have OEM copy)

but what i dont understand is y cuz wouldnt it be saved to the HDD?

and another thing one of my motherboard vid card slots died on me but it is still in warranty so i was just going to get the excactly same motherboard...would i still have to buy a new copy of win7 even if it is the same board? -------i hope this is correct cuz i dont want to buy another copy lol

Thanks!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,970 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 02 August 2010 - 08:36 AM

If the computer has been repaired and the motherboard replacement is the same type, it will have the same hardware, and so technically be considered to still be the same computer. OEM Windows is licensed only to the original computer it is sold with, so cannot be operated on a substantially different computer, since this would breach the license conditions.

It is possible that if the motherboard has onboard LAN, then Windows might need to be re-activated, because the NIC will have changed, and this difference can generate a sufficiently different hardware signature that the installation needs to be re-validated. If so, Microsoft will just need to know the system has been repaired.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users