Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Icons with UAC Shield Won't Run.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 spaceroids

spaceroids

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 02 August 2010 - 06:23 AM

I recently used combo fix, a registry cleaner. Now when ever i attempt to run a program with a windows security shield, it never loads. I have no ideas what steps to take

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Torvald

Torvald

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:30 AM

Sorry to hear about your computer problem.

Using registry cleaners can sometimes mess up your computer, which is why BC recommends not using them.

You also mentioned using ComboFix, which is a powerful antimalware program. In fact, it is powerful enough that it should never be used except under the supervision of one of the trained helpers here at BC or other authorized forums, as it can also seriously mess up your computer if not configured properly.

You might want to try restoring your computer to an earlier save point, and see if that fixes the problem.

Good Luck.

Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

#3 spaceroids

spaceroids
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:35 AM

than you for replying, is there another way to run system restore without using the icon, because the icon also has the shield on it

#4 Torvald

Torvald

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2010 - 06:59 PM

Not sure what you mean by saying system restore has a shield on its icon.

In Windows XP, you simply click on the Start button, then select Programs, Accessories, Systems Tools, then click on the icon for System Restore.

I'm really not familiar with Windows Vista, but hopefully it is similar.

Best Wishes.

Edited by Torvald, 05 August 2010 - 07:00 PM.

Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

#5 JosiahK

JosiahK

• Members
  • 269 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 06 August 2010 - 04:41 AM

The shield signifies a program that requires administrator permissions to run, and gets those permissions via UAC. If Combofix has muddled something in UAC you might have to restart in safe mode to run system restore.
Quod non mortiferum, fortiorem me facit.
I don't read minds. Please help everyone by answering any questions and reporting on the results of any instructions. Query any concerns and explain problems or complications.

#6 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 06 August 2010 - 05:56 AM

Combofix is indeed not a registry cleaner, but a malware cleaning/diagnostics tool and as mentioned before, it is not recommended to run unsupervised.

In your case, can you get any of the applications to run by rightclicking on the icon and selecting "run as administrator"?

If we cannot get this fixed, Combofix has inbuild routines to undo all changes, so there would be no need for a system restore.

For now, I would want to know why you ran Combofix in the first place. Did you have malware problems?

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users