Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard disk has errors, can't clone

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ossilix

ossilix

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 01 August 2010 - 10:01 PM

I put a new 500gb hard drive in an external USB enclosure and tried to use Easeus Todo to clone my current hard drive to the new drive, but in the middle it stops and says "Reading sector failure". What can I do now? Is there a program that can deal with bad sectors when cloning? Will running chkdsk /r on the old drive make a difference? I'm afraid chkdsk will never complete or will cause my hard drive to become worse. Would the best option be to just do a clean install of XP on the new drive and forget about cloning? I'm scared to do that but if it's the safest option then that's what I will have to do.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 01 August 2010 - 10:09 PM

Get another hard drive and copy as much data over as possible. Then see if that 500GB drive has a warranty, get it replaced.

#3 ossilix

ossilix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2010 - 10:35 PM

Get another hard drive and copy as much data over as possible. Then see if that 500GB drive has a warranty, get it replaced.

Sorry, must not have been clear - the new disk doesn't have errors, the old one in my computer does. The new disc is brand new, haven't done anything other than attempting to clone the old one to it (it's not been formatted, partitioned etc). Also, I already have the important data from the failing drive backed up on yet another 500gb external drive, as well as to DVDs. So I guess I'm pretty well ready for a fresh install. I'm just scared I won't be able to get my sound card and other hardware working again. (I have all the disks though.)

Now that I've thought about it some more, a fresh install is probably a better choice since this is a 5-year-old XP installation that's kind of bogged down. A fresh start would be okay. Although if there's another program that can handle a clone with HD errors I would try it.

#4 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 02 August 2010 - 01:52 AM

Now that I've thought about it some more, a fresh install is probably a better choice

Given that you intend to follow through on the "fresh install" (seems like the best choice) .... I include the following for your interest.

DjLizard's data recovery guide
http://wiki.lunarsoft.net/wiki/Data_Recovery

..... this guide describes using RIPLinux (and Linux in general) to clone a failing drive ......

There is excellent information in this article applicable to your situation. It will give you the best chance to recover as much data from the failing hard drive as is possible.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#5 ossilix

ossilix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2010 - 03:37 PM

Now that I've thought about it some more, a fresh install is probably a better choice

Given that you intend to follow through on the "fresh install" (seems like the best choice) .... I include the following for your interest.

DjLizard's data recovery guide
http://wiki.lunarsoft.net/wiki/Data_Recovery

..... this guide describes using RIPLinux (and Linux in general) to clone a failing drive ......

There is excellent information in this article applicable to your situation. It will give you the best chance to recover as much data from the failing hard drive as is possible.

Thanks AustrAlien - I'm just kind of leery of installing a whole bunch of new stuff I don't understand on a drive that's failing. I'm having a hard enough time trying to learn how to install windows and format/partition a new drive. lol I'm overloaded as it is, just seeing the word "Linux" makes my brain shut down.

If I can get the new drive working I'll still have the old drive, then I can try other methods of recovering things from it - although as I said I have all the important data backed up multiple times, it's just the settings and registry and program stuff that I would have to deal with. I'm beginning to think just starting over would be better than trying to copy the convoluted Windows setup I've ended up with after 5 years of "tweaking" it...

Edited by ossilix, 02 August 2010 - 03:38 PM.

#6 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:24 PM

:thumbsup: Best of luck.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#7 ossilix

ossilix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:33 PM

Thanks AustrAlien! I did get it installed but now there's a problem with the network adapters. :thumbsup:

#8 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:37 PM

and what the problem now???

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#9 ossilix

ossilix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2010 - 10:32 PM

and what the problem now???

I posted about it here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/336858/windows-xp-network-cable-unplugged-when-its-plugged-in/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users