Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Headphone Jack giving weak/muffled signal

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 watsonsword

watsonsword

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 01 August 2010 - 09:06 PM

READ FIRST:: I posted this on the wrong board. Somebody please move it. Thanks

I use an HP Pavilion Slimline s5213w.

Previously I owned only a pair of Sony Studio Monitor headphone made in the late 90s, with the heavy curly cord and large steel plug. So long of using it in the front headphone jack of my pavilion must've pulled at something a little too hard because the sound it now gives through the headphones is weak and muffled, which is the only way I can describe it.

I now have a pair of Bose TriPort headphones that will not pull at the headphone jack, but the problem's already been caused.

The sound returns to normal if I lightly push the headphone plug so it's at an angle to the jack, though I know this can't be good for it. Now the damn Studio Monitor Headphones have caused this same problem on previously owned computers, always fitting the above description, and I know there has to be many others who've experience this problem as well.

I would like to know--if anyone has this information--exactly what causes this problem. I would like to know if this can be fixed at home, or at any small street corner computer repair shop.
It'll probably be the shop because I have very large hands that I don't trust to work with very tiny things.

Edited by watsonsword, 01 August 2010 - 09:09 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,488 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:43 AM

Hi,

The pins in the headphone jack are most likely mess up and bent, it will most likely need a new jack for it. Take it to the shop and see how much they want to charge you and you are in the right forum I believe. :thumbsup:
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 outdoor

outdoor

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:44 PM

Buy a 5 dollar usb audio conector. My audio jack went out completly. Now I plug this cord in my usb and it has a 3.5mmaudio jack on the other end.

http://store01.prostores.com/servlet/refor...-Headset/Detail

Thats the one I have but got it on ebay for 2 dollars. Its great!!!!!

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:39 AM

If you are using the connection on the motherboard, and the port is messed up, the easy solution is a seperate sound card.

A card is a lot cheaper than a new motherboard. There is wide price range for sound cards-you don't need to spend a lot for one. The sound on my motherboard died about 6 months ago. I went to Office Depot and got a Diamond Xtreme sound card for $20.95 (plus tax) which suits my needs.

It's also something you can buy and install yourself. If you do get a card and need help installing it, all you have to do is ask us and we will guide you through the process.
It's one of those things that once you do it you'll say "wow, that was easy".

Edited by Queen-Evie, 03 August 2010 - 07:48 AM.

#5 watsonsword

watsonsword
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 03 August 2010 - 10:10 AM

I'll have to open up the PC and see what exactly the headphone jack is connected to and how first, but I've replaced hard drives and CPU fans before so I'm not I'm not a complete noob at this. The only thing I've never actually done is wired anything myself. Anyhow, I'll need to send out a few emails first to find out if I can use just some generic jack or if only a proprietary one will fit my model.
I looked up the Slimline s5213w and there's no sound card, nor is there room for one, which means the jack itself will have to be replaced. And I don't think I want the USB Headphone adapter because I don't think the PC will recognize that as being headphones, and really like using the OS's sound enhancements.

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 05 August 2010 - 10:13 PM

This may be a standard answer for HP products, but I did find it on HP website for your computer model:

Integrated audio is not available if a sound card is installed.

Expansion slots:

•One PCI Express x16
•Two PCI Express x1
•One PCI

A sound card would be installed in one of those slots.

You can open the case to see the available slots.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users