Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP disk?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 soryo

soryo

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 01 August 2010 - 09:01 PM

Hello hello! I wasn't totally sure where to post this question. xD;
Please forgive me if it is the wrong place. >.<

So, every computer comes with a disk right? The one that lets you totally start over with a new um..Well, I can't remember the word. =w=;
New desktop? It's as if it's brand new again!

Anyway...I was wondering if anyone knew where to get a new XP disk? I haven't been able to find mine for the longest time.
Remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 swmtech

swmtech

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 01 August 2010 - 10:01 PM

What brand is the computer? Most of them will send you a new recovery/restore disk or OEM Windows Disc for a reasonable price, as long as you have the model and serial number. If it was a non-oem that you purchased separately, you may be out of luck without buying a new copy.

There may also be a way to restore your computer to the factory load without a disc. Depending on the make, model, how old it is and whether you have ever replaced or cometely wiped the hard disc there may be a restore partition. How you access it will vary by make and model.

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,979 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 02 August 2010 - 05:05 AM

Not every computer comes with a recovery disk, but many older systems did. This could be a standard Windows installation CD, or a custom disk that restores the computer to factory state. Many recent computers, and a few older ones, were not supplied with an actual CD, the recovery system was on the computer's hard drive.

As swmtech commented, you may well be able to get a replacement disk for a brand-name system, or use a system restore process, let us know what computer you have.

If the computer has the Windows COA label attached, as it should, with the license key, or if the same is attached to any paperwork or packing belonging to the computer, it is permissible to borrow a disk of the exact same Windows type and use it to repair or re-install the Windows on the computer. (It's just not permitted to keep a copy of the disk for yourself.)

Edited by Platypus, 02 August 2010 - 05:07 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 soryo

soryo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2010 - 12:56 PM

Thanks guys. ^^
It's a Dell, and we got it a few years ago. o.o

It's been restored before but I don't know how.^^; It's been restored twice...Once with someone elses disk, and the other time I don't think they used a disk at all. o_o Or maybe they did and I just missed it...

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2010 - 01:15 PM

Yo can order a set of Dell recovery disks from here
There may be a minimal fee.
Typically, Dell includes a second cd thaqt includes all drivers necessary for your system as well.

However, you may not need to go that far.
Pls post what the issue is and someone here may be able to solve it for you.

Edited by Eyesee, 02 August 2010 - 01:16 PM.

In the beginning there was the command line.

#6 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 02 August 2010 - 01:18 PM

you could check does on your system have recovery partition or software (except microsoft recovery console)...
and please tell what your dell model type...

Edited by abauw, 02 August 2010 - 01:18 PM.

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#7 swmtech

swmtech

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2010 - 01:20 PM

Dell won't help you without $$s if it is out of warranty. If it is in warranty, they would send the disc for free via tech support (or at least they used to).

If it is out of warranty you can do three things -
First, search the web or dell's site for how to run a system recovery on your exact make/model. They vary from machine to machine for the last few years, but usually involve hitting F10 or F12 or something during boot. Sometimes it will be displayed during post, and sometimes it's a big secret.

Secondly, if you can find anyone else with a Dell that has the same OS that you have (as verified by your OEM sticker on the case) you can borrow their OS CD to reload. Just know that you will need to download all the drivers from the dell web site to complete the process, usually even the NIC is not recognized by windows, so that may need to involve another PC, or downloading the drivers before you wipe it out if possible.

Thirdly, I have never had to get a CD from Dell because I have copies of most of their OS CDs for repairs, but you should be able to purchase one from their sales department. They will just want to know your service Tag and verify that you are the owner. Typically from other companies the OS or restore discs have been between $17 and $27 plus shipping...

Edited by swmtech, 02 August 2010 - 04:08 PM.

#8 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 02 August 2010 - 01:38 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dell-XP-Pro-SP3-Reinst...=item2eaeedc662

#9 swmtech

swmtech

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2010 - 04:12 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dell-XP-Pro-SP3-Reinst...=item2eaeedc662

While I am a big fan of saving money, I am not sure auctioning off such CDs is legal, and when I think that the seller likely got it for free (either honestly or dishonestly) It makes purchasing it even less desirable IMO... Also, if you decide to purchase such a CD from a 3rd party via such means, note whether your sticker on your box is for Home or Professional. The CD you use needs to match to be legal. This CD that is linked to is for Professional...

#10 soryo

soryo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2010 - 07:34 PM

Alright thanks everyone. :thumbsup:

@Joe
I think I'll avoid buying anything like that off Ebay. ^^;

#11 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,488 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2010 - 07:39 PM

@Joe
I think I'll avoid buying anything like that off Ebay. ^^;

Yes that would be a good idea, many people don't know that ebay dosn't protect them with that kind of stuff, don't buy cd's off of sites like ebay :thumbsup:
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#12 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 04 August 2010 - 03:45 PM

This is just a disk, No key and I see no reason to forge a simple dell XP disk with all the fancy logo's on it. true the one I posted is for XP Pro and you probably need XP Home. But there is no key with this disk, and there are many of dell xp disks out there, you will still need your dell key.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users