Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can someone enter my home computer from my remote access desktop location

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sun&Sea

Sun&Sea

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 01 August 2010 - 08:30 PM

Hello, I hope I am posting this question in the correct forum :thumbsup:

I use a remote desktop to access my work computer from my home computer. On my home computer I am using Windows Vista and have Norton Security. I am wondering if there is any way for someone from the remote location to enter my home computer while I am using the remote access? I've always wondered this but was told by a friend that my firewall protection would stop this from happening. However, I grew suspicious when recently I was trying to rename a file folder on my home computer but couldn't rename it and got a message saying it was being viewed (or was open rather) in another program, but I checked everything I knew to check and I did not have it open anywhere else on my computer - I hadn't even accessed that folder until I decided to rename it. I don't think I had my remote desktop access open at that time though, but I wondered if someone else was viewing the folder - it may be totally unrelated to the remote access thing but you never know, so I thought I'd find out once and for all if this is even possible regardless of the folder re-naming issue.

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 swmtech

swmtech

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 01 August 2010 - 09:43 PM

There Isn't any way I am aware of for a standard remote desktop session to give another user access to your computer. However, do you enable the option to give your remote session access to your local drives and printers? That would allow something in your own session to access your home computer's hd from the remote computer. Check and see if you were using that option. Either way I would investigate the locked folder until you can either rename it, or find out what program or service has it in use, just to make sure there isn't something lurking on your machine.

#3 Sun&Sea

Sun&Sea
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 02 August 2010 - 02:11 AM

swmtech, thank you for your response. I am not sure how to check if my work computer has access to my local drives and printer - could you direct me to how to do that? If that is the case, would someone or something be able to access my hd even if I am not signed on to my remote access or only when I am signed on?

I was able to rename that file folder after a while but hadn't done anything to "fix" the issue - it just let me rename it eventually. I am not sure what you mean by investigate that folder? I can scan the individual folder with my Norton which I will go do now just to be safe if that is what you meant.

#4 swmtech

swmtech

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 02 August 2010 - 04:03 PM

swmtech, thank you for your response. I am not sure how to check if my work computer has access to my local drives and printer - could you direct me to how to do that?

If you have a shortcut to your remote desktop session, you should be able to right click on it and choose "edit" Click on the "Options >>>" button and look for the "Local Resources" tab. There you should have checkboxes to choose which local resources the remote computer will have access to. When you make changes, don't forget to press the "save" button before you exit or connect. If you connect another way it might be different but you should find the same options in a similar way.

If that is the case, would someone or something be able to access my hd even if I am not signed on to my remote access or only when I am signed on?

No, but if something was accessing it, say a virus scanner or something when you disconnected the session it could have been locked open. Or something on your own machine was actually locking it for some activity, and was completely unrelated to the remote session. Occasionally I have had windows claim a files was locked/in use for no apparent reason, and after a reboot it was freed up. Sometimes I think it is a result of an attempt to preview or index a folders contents, but that is just a speculation.

I was able to rename that file folder after a while but hadn't done anything to "fix" the issue - it just let me rename it eventually. I am not sure what you mean by investigate that folder? I can scan the individual folder with my Norton which I will go do now just to be safe if that is what you meant.

If you were able to rename it later I wouldn't be too concerned. If it continued to resist modification I would have been worried about some type of malware activity, in which case you would have wanted to use some tools to check for such, and to see what process was accessing the file or folder in question.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users