Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Secondary Spyware Program

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Junior2007

Junior2007

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 01 August 2010 - 07:32 PM

Hello,

I recently switched back to Avast Free Edition combined with Super Anti Spyware for virus/spyware protection from Microsoft Security Essentials. MSE worked very well, but I always thought Avast was a superb free anti virus program. With SAS being a very popular choice of folks here, I'm looking for suggestions for a secondary free spyware program that has good reviews. Any opinions welcome, thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mn_danger

mn_danger

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 01 August 2010 - 08:42 PM

IMHO...you should consider...

malwarebytes
adaware
spybot search and destroy
prevx

PS: I found software reviews at PC Mag are very helpful.

PPS: (sorry...this is probably very bad forum etiquette to keep editing)...you might check out this posting: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/334187/pc-protection/

Edited by mn_danger, 01 August 2010 - 08:53 PM.

Bleeping dangerous

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 01 August 2010 - 08:52 PM

You have one, of the 2 most recommended anti-spyware programs.
The other is, Malwarebytes.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2010 - 10:19 PM

Hello,

I recently switched back to Avast Free Edition combined with Super Anti Spyware for virus/spyware protection from Microsoft Security Essentials. MSE worked very well, but I always thought Avast was a superb free anti virus program. With SAS being a very popular choice of folks here, I'm looking for suggestions for a secondary free spyware program that has good reviews. Any opinions welcome, thanks.

If you were running MSE then that is a better AV program than Avast and has anti-spyware and anti-malware protection.

#5 the dummy

the dummy

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 01 August 2010 - 11:07 PM

Dont run more than 1 anti-virus at a time. I would say malwarebytes - hitman - emisisoft a2 - spyware terminater - prevx safe on line - will fill the bill.

#6 Junior2007

Junior2007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2010 - 07:48 PM

Just 1 Anti Virus program for sure. I know MSE is an "all in one" program, and does a good job, but I wanted to switch back to Avast as a primary A/V program. Thanks to all for the replies.

#7 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:54 PM

I generally use an AV program until it fails me (as Symantec and AVG did). I switched from Avast to MSE because (at the time with version 4.8) Avast used two separate interfaces - one for realtime scanning and configuration and the other for manual scans. Avast also seemed to slow down my web browsing & start up time. From my understanding, Avast is now a single interface but I already switched and MSE hasn't let me down.

#8 driftking24

driftking24

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2010 - 05:36 PM

Ah. Well I'm still with Avast (version 5) and yeah it is now a single interface (much more user-friendly), light on resources and the scan is faster than before. :thumbsup: As for the secondary spyware program, I recommend Malwarebytes Anti-Malware . SUPERAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes are two of the best spyware programs you can find.

EDIT: Spybot Search & Destroy is also very popular but I've heard many people complaining about its poor detection rates. I've tried it before myself, and it didn't seem too bad. Lavasoft's Ad-Aware has poor detection rates and this one comes from my own personal experience. I found it to be a huge resource hog, slow on start-up and bad at detecting anything except tracking cookies.

Edited by driftking24, 03 August 2010 - 05:39 PM.

#9 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2010 - 01:34 AM

If you were running MSE then that is a better AV program than Avast and has anti-spyware and anti-malware protection.

I think avast! is far superior than MSE. Respected seniors at BleepingComputer advise avast! or Avira for free anti-virus. In my experience, the detection rate of MSE is lower and it makes the computer very slow. It has not much of configurations to do. It does not scan the HTTP or Network traffic like avast!.

Dont run more than 1 anti-virus at a time. I would say malwarebytes - hitman - emisisoft a2 - spyware terminater - prevx safe on line - will fill the bill.

Hitman is not advised by BleepingComputer as it violated the copyrights of many different vendors.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users