Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer turns on for 1 second and then turns off

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Hughes

Tom Hughes

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 01 August 2010 - 07:09 PM

I've got my sister-in-law's laptop that will not boot up. It was working properly and then just shut off and now will not reboot. It is a Compaq F762NR. The computer starts up when the power button is pressed and stays on for about 1 second (maybe less) The HDD light, Power light, and wireless lights all come on when it is started but nothing else. No noise, no fans, no beeps, nothing on the screen. I cannot get it to POST or access BIOS. I've tried dry-booting it for a minute without battery or AC power. I've removed Ram, CD drive, Hard Drive, and wireless module. I attempted to restart after each item was removed and it is the exact same symptom. No external devices are attached. Please let me know what else I can consider testing before I tell her the motherboard is shot, or is there a way to test the condition of the motherboard?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 eric512

eric512

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 02 August 2010 - 12:34 PM

Sounds like a dead motherboard. The lights blink for a second because the laptop is doing a POST self check. It turns off because it has found a fault somewhere.

Last resort is to pull the battery and also the CMOS battery. Its a watch type usually under a cover on the bottom of the laptop. After you remove them, (also unpluged). hold the power button for 10 seconds.

Reconnect everything and see if it starts.

Otherwise I would try for a replacement motherboard on ebay if the machine is not too old.

#3 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 02 August 2010 - 12:50 PM

quick question...
~ does any LED light was on...hdd / power / etc...on the laptop
~ are you have adding something to your laptop...memory or something
~ does you have problem with heat....

maybe...just maybe...its not your mainboard...

please check your heatsink fan...processor and vga...do some cleaning too...

Edited by abauw, 02 August 2010 - 12:51 PM.

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#4 Tom Hughes

Tom Hughes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2010 - 08:27 PM

Sounds like a dead motherboard. The lights blink for a second because the laptop is doing a POST self check. It turns off because it has found a fault somewhere.

Last resort is to pull the battery and also the CMOS battery. Its a watch type usually under a cover on the bottom of the laptop. After you remove them, (also unpluged). hold the power button for 10 seconds.

Otherwise I would try for a replacement motherboard on ebay if the machine is not too old.

Thanks, I'll check the cmos battery tomorrrow and post back some results.

quick question...
~ does any LED light was on...hdd / power / etc...on the laptop
~ are you have adding something to your laptop...memory or something
~ does you have problem with heat....

maybe...just maybe...its not your mainboard...

please check your heatsink fan...processor and vga...do some cleaning too...

The HDD light, Power light, and wireless lights all come on when it is started but nothing else.
Haven't added anything in the last 2 years, but I did go ahead and try different combinations of ram, with and without the HD, and a few others... all had the same result.
The problem doesn't have anything to do with heat. The laptop still only stays on less than a second when completely cool.

Thanks

#5 Tom Hughes

Tom Hughes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:34 AM

Removing CMOS battery did nothing... still less than a second of life and then nothing. No POST, no beeps. I guess I'll admit defeat and admit that it's the motherboard. Thanks for the help.

#6 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 03 August 2010 - 10:57 AM

while your changing CMOS battery...
do you see any dust appear??? expecially on heatsink fan (processor and vga)...if yes please do some cleaning...
and do some test will good...if you could open the laptop case...please turn your laptop while checking heatsink fan...does that heatsink fan produce some heat (you could doing with touch it for a few second...and dont bother for waiting a POST screen)...if not heat maybe thats the problem...you should gets heat from processor or vga...

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#7 jeff932

jeff932

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2010 - 12:54 PM

I second the bad motherboard. Will add it could be the power supply. Seems the capacitor issues are still present. both the MB and PS have the stupid cheap elelctrolytic capacitors and seem to fail around 3 years. I have currently ave 2 acer desktops with the same problem. Replaced the one board last year (box of course was past the short term warranty) (acer uses propritory plugs and some case functionality was lost (front USB ports and a few others, nothing critical. Acer wanted $160 for a new MB. My generic replacement is working like a charm. Fortunately MS was not picky about the OEM OS license. Second unit is more problematic since the 1st replacement board is no longer available. It's making my life more difficult. I've replaced more MB's and power supplies in my lifetime then I care to think about creating $1000's of dollars in repairs for 100's of dollars of cheap electronic parts...

#8 Tom Hughes

Tom Hughes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:54 PM

while your changing CMOS battery...
do you see any dust appear??? expecially on heatsink fan (processor and vga)...if yes please do some cleaning...
and do some test will good...if you could open the laptop case...please turn your laptop while checking heatsink fan...does that heatsink fan produce some heat (you could doing with touch it for a few second...and dont bother for waiting a POST screen)...if not heat maybe thats the problem...you should gets heat from processor or vga...

No dust was apparent. It is still under 2 years and spent its life on a desk. No heat is generated because the computer only stays on less than 1 second. Any other things to check?

I second the bad motherboard. Will add it could be the power supply. Seems the capacitor issues are still present. both the MB and PS have the stupid cheap elelctrolytic capacitors and seem to fail around 3 years. I have currently ave 2 acer desktops with the same problem. Replaced the one board last year (box of course was past the short term warranty) (acer uses propritory plugs and some case functionality was lost (front USB ports and a few others, nothing critical. Acer wanted $160 for a new MB. My generic replacement is working like a charm. Fortunately MS was not picky about the OEM OS license. Second unit is more problematic since the 1st replacement board is no longer available. It's making my life more difficult. I've replaced more MB's and power supplies in my lifetime then I care to think about creating $1000's of dollars in repairs for 100's of dollars of cheap electronic parts...

Anywhere I should look for the bad capacitors? Also, any tutorials around for switching them out if they are bad? I'm sure she'd let me fiddle around with the motherboard trying to solder new capacitors.

#9 andysuhandana

andysuhandana

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 05 August 2010 - 10:58 AM

#10 andysuhandana

andysuhandana

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 05 August 2010 - 11:07 AM

I've got my sister-in-law's laptop that will not boot up. It was working properly and then just shut off and now will not reboot. It is a Compaq F762NR. The computer starts up when the power button is pressed and stays on for about 1 second (maybe less) The HDD light, Power light, and wireless lights all come on when it is started but nothing else. No noise, no fans, no beeps, nothing on the screen. I cannot get it to POST or access BIOS. I've tried dry-booting it for a minute without battery or AC power. I've removed Ram, CD drive, Hard Drive, and wireless module. I attempted to restart after each item was removed and it is the exact same symptom. No external devices are attached. Please let me know what else I can consider testing before I tell her the motherboard is shot, or is there a way to test the condition of the motherboard?

Thanks

Hi There, i've been tried many time to fix problem like that, so here is the answer:
its probably if sound beeping repeatly thats mean fault come from memory, try to clean memory interface and memory slot also with dry tooth brush, and put in back memory in slot, then clear c-mos by open jumper which sign CLEAR C-MOS in 2-3 postion, and then put back in last position 1-2 and then turn on computer, if it beeping again it mean memory broken, replace with new one

#11 Tom Hughes

Tom Hughes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2010 - 01:48 PM

Thanks

Hi There, i've been tried many time to fix problem like that, so here is the answer:
its probably if sound beeping repeatly thats mean fault come from memory, try to clean memory interface and memory slot also with dry tooth brush, and put in back memory in slot, then clear c-mos by open jumper which sign CLEAR C-MOS in 2-3 postion, and then put back in last position 1-2 and then turn on computer, if it beeping again it mean memory broken, replace with new one

Thanks for the help... Not sure if you totally read what I had said in my earlier post. "No noise, no fans, no beeps, nothing on the screen." I didn't have any beeps, it didn't make it to POST.

#12 Klick8986

Klick8986

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2010 - 02:36 PM

Tom the way to check the capacitors is to see if they've swelled up. This is usually an indicator that the capacitors are no longer working. Also see if you can spot some discoloration of any kind throughout the motherboard. Hope this helps to see if the capacitors are bad, personally I believe the motherboard is bad and needs replacement. Good Luck :thumbsup:

#13 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2010 - 02:37 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

I am providing you with various pieces of information regarding leaking electrolytic capacitors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

http://www.capacitorlab.com/visible-failures/

http://pc-medic.blogspot.com/2006/10/leaking-capacitors.html

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users