Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Media Player Error (help Please)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Midder

Midder

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 25 October 2005 - 08:33 PM

Allright this is the error I get whenever I try to open up Windows Media Player

The file wmploc.dll has a version number of 8.0.0.4477 where 10.0.0.3802 was expected.
Windows Media Player is not installed properly and must be reinstalled.
Do you want to install the player from the Microsoft website?

I've looked all over the web to find a solution but I can't find anything with my specific problem, and I don't know what to do. The only thing I can do as an alternative is type mplayer2.exe in Run Dialog Box. It opens up Windows Media Player 6.4.09.1120 and allows me to use it with no problems. It works but is an inconvenience, and I just want to solve the problem with the other so if anyone can give any advice I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks In Advance Everyone

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gunner

gunner

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 25 October 2005 - 11:06 PM

Go here:http://www.microsoft.com/windows/default.mspx and get you a new one. Let me know if it is fixed. :thumbsup:

Edited by gunner, 25 October 2005 - 11:09 PM.

Spike's advice: Backup your data routinely.

#3 Midder

Midder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 26 October 2005 - 03:32 PM

I haven't downloaded the Media Player and I don't think I'm going to, I think I like the older version better. It is much easier to use and it works really well with my computer. I was just curious on how to rid the new Media Player from my system or at least make it inaccessible. I also wanted to know how i could make a shortcut of the old media player so i don't have to open it up from the start-Run box.

If anyone could give me any insight to this I would really appreciate it. Thanks Again

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 26 October 2005 - 06:41 PM

I will look into the first part of your question. The second part is easy. Right click on "Windows Media Player" in the program menu and select "create shortcut". Hold down the letf mouse button on the new shortcut, "Windows Media Player (2)" and drag it to your Desktop or "Quick Launch" menu and release.
Hope this helped.

Edit: I found this with google. It says to rollback WMP 10 to9..

To uninstall WMP 10 and roll back to WMP 9, you need to click show updates box at the top of the ADD/Remove Programs window for "Windows Media Player 10" to show up. Then click remove and it will ask if you would like to reverse back to MP9 - say "yes".

I have never done this, so take it with a grain of salt. If you never had WMP 9 then of course this will not work (for the new XP users that had Xp come with WMP 10).

Edited by acklan, 26 October 2005 - 06:51 PM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users