Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Antivirus Software

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 oldpapa49

oldpapa49

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 01 August 2010 - 04:20 PM

Ok, from my other post.. What I had and What I have now.. Does anyone have any suggestions to which program is better than the other.

Old Post:

Ok, This what I had..

Malwarebytes, SuperantiSpyware, StopZilla, MSE , and Winpatrol ...all running on my system..1st 3 are 3 paid versions.

Now I'm trying this setup

Malwarebytes, Avast, and WinPatrol. Malwarebytes still paid version.

I'm trying to determine if I really need to go with avast or back to SAS..

Old

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mn_danger

mn_danger

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 01 August 2010 - 04:38 PM

...you might check out prevx
Bleeping dangerous

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 PM

Posted 01 August 2010 - 05:46 PM

I'm trying to determine if I really need to go with avast or back to SAS..

They have two different purposes. avast is an anti-virus while SAS is an anti-malware scanner so its not a matter of either or. If you are already using MBAM, then you can use SAS (the free version) as a stand-alone scanner for second opinion scanning.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2010 - 06:57 PM

Why are you replacing MSE with Avast?

#5 oldpapa49

oldpapa49
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:25 AM

Well, why replace MSE with Avast.. I have no idea..

Avast seems to hog my CPU or slow it down a tad during internet gaming (yes I'm 61 and game online TF2) so I also like to be protected (Malwarebytes started to block lots of IPs related to game servers in China and I have no idea why) while online.
So I will remove Avast tonight and put MSE back and SAS. They all worked ok.. But I thought more or less that Avast or Kaspersky? was a bit better...

But just point be daddaway and I will do whats suggested.
Old

#6 thelittleduck

thelittleduck

• Members
  • 903 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:40 AM

(Malwarebytes started to block lots of IPs related to game servers in China and I have no idea why) while online.

Malwarbytes sometimes blocks ranges of ip addresses. Sometimes non-malicious sites are in the range. If you believe this to be the case, you can report it here -
Malwarebytes - False Positives

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,946 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:52 AM

What does IP Protection do?
IP Protection provides an additional layer of security for your computer, by preventing access to known malicious IP addresses and IP ranges...

What does this notification mean?
This notification means quite simply, that an IP address has been blocked. It does NOT necessarily mean you are infected, it simply means a program on your computer (e.g. your browser, IM program, P2P program etc), tried accessing a malicious IP address...

Other FAQs about IP Protection
How does it do this?
How does it inform you?
I got an alert and I wasn't even surfing, how's that happen?
I received a notification on a safe site, why?
How do I disable this?
I got an alert for an IP or website I think is safe, how can I report it?
Does the IP Protection replace my firewall?
Where do I find the IP Protection logs?
How can I add an IP so it won't be detected and can access a site I need to?[/b]

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware IP Protection FAQs

If you are using peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing programs or an IM client, be aware they can trigger alerts. Why? Because these kind of programs are a security risk which can make your system susceptible to a smörgåsbord of malware infections and remote attacks for several reasons to include pop-up ads and malicious Flash ads that can lead to rogue sites where the IP address has been blocked. Ads are a target for hackers because they offer a stealthy way to distribute malware to a wide range of Internet users. Even your Browser is susceptible to ads so just surfing the net or going to unsafe sites may trigger alerts in order to protect you. Please read How Malware Spreads - How did I get infected.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:22 AM

Well, why replace MSE with Avast.. I have no idea..

Avast seems to hog my CPU or slow it down a tad during internet gaming (yes I'm 61 and game online TF2) so I also like to be protected (Malwarebytes started to block lots of IPs related to game servers in China and I have no idea why) while online.
So I will remove Avast tonight and put MSE back and SAS. They all worked ok.. But I thought more or less that Avast or Kaspersky? was a bit better...

But just point be daddaway and I will do whats suggested.
Old

You can see where MSE ranks here: http://lifehacker.com/5433229/microsoft-se...-free-antivirus

Edited by JonM33, 02 August 2010 - 10:22 AM.

#9 oldpapa49

oldpapa49
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:41 AM

Ok all.. Thanks for the quick replys...

What got me is playing on Steam one day and a chat request came in.. I never give anyone my credentials what so ever.. They can go ....
I don't remember exactly, either during chat or after I closed the window I saw malwarebytes going crazy blocking IP's.. Some like 60 or more in 40 secs.
Since I was still on a game server (I know which and it is safe, belong to the group) I had a record of approximate time.

I have had this one other time since this incident last week.

I did this after the IP's (to check security of the system)
I rebooted into safe mode and ran all of my software in safe.. all was clean.. Then rebooted with network disabled and rescanned the system to insure system was clean.
What I have running is Skype and I disable (if I remember Microsoft Messenger) .

Otherwise Malwarebytes just sits and has no IP blocking display.

Old

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users