Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

c 0000 145 {application error.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mixpix

mixpix

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 01 August 2010 - 12:45 PM

When running the "error-checking" (My computer--->Local Disk (C:)---> Highlight"properties"--->Tools--->Error-Checking(checking both boxes,in the "check disk options" box: "automatically fix file system errors" & "scan for & recovery of bad sectors").After the application has ran its course, I get this message:

STOP: c oooo 145 {application error. The application failed to initialize properly (0x 0000005). Click OK to terminate application.

But there is no "click" button. This error message is displayed in a blue screen format. Being there isn't a button, I switch the laptop off manually. Everything seems OK other than the error message I get from running that application. I run it because of an article on Microsoft's website: H E R E

I am thinking I have a corrupt disk but maybe I don't need to run that application as often? The other laptop that runs the application shuts off after it has run the course & there isn't a problem. Please, any advice would be hopeful because I know this error message means that there may be a deeper lying problem?

Thank you in advance,
mixpix

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit version 1709
Processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo i5-4210U CPU  T5750 @ 1.70gHz 2.40 GHz
Ram: 8.00 GB
system type: 64bit x-64-based processor
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/VNZNmcrsHQpEHgN51iurDWj

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mixpix

mixpix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2010 - 12:53 PM

The laptop I am referring to in the previous post is Windows XP Professional by the way; forgot to add that if it mattered?

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 01 August 2010 - 12:59 PM

<<After the application has ran its course, I get this message:>>

Are you saying that you get this while the chkdsk screen is up? Or afterwards, when the system has rebooted?

Louis

#4 mixpix

mixpix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2010 - 02:20 AM

Are you saying that you get this while the chkdsk screen is up? Or afterwards, when the system has rebooted?

Louis

Good question Luis, I don't know. I do know that I run the application & at whatever point it decides to go to the blue screen & run that message, is something I need to investigate further. I figured it tries to reboot but then the message pops up. Next time I run the application, I will definitely make a note.

I will try & question Dell on the issue also because I notice it is mostly Dell's that have this problem. Thanks again in advance.

Mix

#5 mixpix

mixpix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2011 - 04:16 PM

Louis

Good question Luis, I don't know. I do know that I run the application & at whatever point it decides to go to the blue screen & run that message, is something I need to investigate further. I figured it tries to reboot but then the message pops up. Next time I run the application, I will definitely make a note.

I will try & question Dell on the issue also because I notice it is mostly Dell's that have this problem. Thanks again in advance.

Mix

Yes, it reboots into the blue screen, with the aforementioned error message...

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 29 January 2011 - 07:35 PM

Can you boot into safe mode?

I tend to think of C000145 errors as malware, although I don't assert that such is the case.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of useful data re this error message, using Google.

Louis

#7 mixpix

mixpix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2011 - 10:16 PM

Louis,

Your the 2nd person to say, "boot into safe mode". I would do that but when you first check the 'Error check disk';paraphrasing, it says something to the effect, that it can't do a error check at that time, but when the computer is started the next time, it will go to the mode.

What would happen if I was right with the machine, and put it in safe mode when it starts up the next time? Is it the F8 or F12 key?

Or would I be best, to put the machine into safe mode first, then doing Error Check? Anyway, I've also been told that defrag does the same as error check so I could just bypass the error check & defrag once in awhile?

I usually hit the "analyze" button first, then usually it says I don't need to run the defrag program at that time.

Hope I'm not posting too much superfluous information?

thanks, mixpix

#8 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 30 January 2011 - 04:51 AM

Louis is simply asking whether or not you are able to load Windows in Safe Mode. It has nothing to do with the running of Check Disk (aka. chkdsk, Error Checking).

Do you know how to boot Windows into Safe Mode? Are you able to do that?

How to start Windows in Safe Mode
  • If the computer is ON, then turn it OFF, and wait 30 seconds.
  • Press the ON button, and immediately start pressing F8 on your keyboard repeatedly, until you see a black screen with white writing (the Windows Advanced Options Menu) that gives you a list of boot options.
  • Use the UP/DOWN arrow keys on your keyboard to select Safe Mode.
  • Press Enter on your keyboard.
---------------

It appears that chkdsk runs to completion successfully, and then Windows attempts to re-start.

When Windows re-starts after running chkdsk, one of the first things it does is to write the log produced by chkdsk. I suspect that whatever application that is being used to write that log is the application that is failing and generating the error message.

:step1: One thing that you could do is to check whether or not there is a log produced after running chkdsk.

Posted Image

A log of the disk check is recorded only if the scheduled re-start is used, and only for drives on the same HDD as the Operating System.
To open Event Viewer and view the log:
  • Go to Start > Run > and type eventvwr and press the <ENTER> key.
    The Event Viewer window will open.
  • In the left pane, click on Application.
  • In the right pane, at the top, click on the column heading Source to sort the list alphabetically.
  • Look in the Source column for "Winlogon", with an entry corresponding to the date and time of the disk check.
  • Double-click on that entry to view the log.
  • Click on the Posted Image button to copy the log text to the clipboard.
  • Paste the log text into your next reply.

:step2: Another thing to do is to check the Event logs.
Please download VEW (Vino's Event Viewer) and save it to your Desktop.
  • Double-click VEW.exe then under Select log to query, select:
    • Application
    • System
  • Under Select type to list, select:
    • Critical (Vista only)
    • Error
  • Click the radio button for Number of events
  • Type 20 in the 1 to 20 box
  • Then click the Run button.
  • Notepad will open with the output log.
In Notepad window:
  • Click Edit > Select all
  • Then click Edit > Copy
Then reply to this post:
  • Click in the reply text box
  • Press Ctrl+V on your keyboard to paste the log.
Thank you.

Edited by AustrAlien, 30 January 2011 - 04:56 AM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users