Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Get Rid Of Malware

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Rocker84

Rocker84

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 01 August 2010 - 11:59 AM

Hi,

I seem to have some sort of really bad malware, or a virus on my laptop that I just can't get rid of. I've tried many of the suggestions that I've read on this forum, but nothing seems to work. What's happening is that I'm getting redirected all the time. When I put in a search in google (or any other search engine), I get a pop up window redirecting me to a random site when I click on the link for the site that I want to go to. I have to click on the link at least 3 or 4 times before it actually takes me to the right site...and sometimes it never does. The same thing happens even when I type in a website in the address bar. After I enter the url, it will randomly redirect me to other sites...and there are certain websites that I can't access at all no matter what I do. Also, the other day, my wireless mouse stopped working out of nowhere. When I try to put it back in, it says "USB Device Not Recognized". I'm guessing that has something to do with the malware/virus too.

I've ran a complete virus scan with Norton in both regular and safe mode, and I've ran a complete scan with Malwarebytes and various other malware removal programs, but no infections are ever found. I also ran Rkill, which didn't find anything either. I've restored my computer to earlier dates as well, which never works. So, finally as a last resort I did a complete system recovery and restored my laptop back to its factory settings. Much to my surprise, I still had the malware/virus! So, like I said, that was my last resort...I really don't have anymore ideas.

I did notice today though that the desktop computer in the house seems to have the exact same malware/virus as my laptop does. Is it possible that maybe the wireless router could have got infected, and that's what's spreading the virus? And if so, is there anyway to remove that? My laptop is running Windows 7, and the desktop computer is running Windows XP if that helps. I'm really out of ideas, so any help would be greatly greatly appreciated. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 04 August 2010 - 05:24 PM

Check the DNS setting on your router as they may have been changed by the malware.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users