Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

uninstall and start over?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 BoneFish

BoneFish

• Members
  • 296 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 01 August 2010 - 10:53 AM

Not sure if this is the right place to post this.
I have an older hp pavilion ze 4900
It stopped connecting to my wi-fi and won't connect by plugging in either.
I tried uninstalling the Cisco Aironet radio card program to reinstall but it never completes the uninstall or update.
The computer runs poorly in general.
I've never tried to reformat my entire computer before and wondered if this is something I should give a try or is it a bad idea.
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 02 August 2010 - 06:37 AM

One of the biggest reasons for computers running slow are malware infections along with the re-install of program failing could indicate so.

Please download the Hijackthis log and run as administrator and copy and paste results here and i'll ask mods to move topic to am i infected where a epert will take a look please be patient as they are usually busy.

http://download.cnet.com/Trend-Micro-Hijac...4-10227353.html

Mods please move to am i infected after hijackthis log is posted.
HP Compaq 6715b Notebook--AMD Turionx2 2.2Ghz 64 Mobile TL-64--4GB DDR2 667Mhz--Compaq 6715b--fujitsu siemens 500GB sataII Internal, Toshiba 1TB EXT HD Backup--IGP ATI Radeon x1250 128MB--Broadcom a\b\g Wlan adapter built in, Sonicwall TZ100, Dlink DSL 2740b--Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and linux ubuntu dual boot--Firefox 4.0 &IE8--Eset Firewall--Nod32 antivirus & Spyware Doctor--Malwarebytes anti malware.

#3 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:57 AM

If it stopped connecting to your internet through wifi, and you tried plugging it directly and it did not work.

What did u plug it into directly, the modem or the router?

Try using just the Modem, eliminate the router from the equation so you can pinpoint the source of the problem. If it doesnt work through the Modem, perhaps it needs to be reset, are all the lights working like normal?

Next, if that doesnt re-establish connection, check device manager.

Right click on my computer, goto properties, goto hardware tab, click on device manager.

Check next to Network Adapters for a X or !. If those arent present, then you know your computer pieces are working according to windows and you must go back to the Modem, the problem lies there, either the internet signal isnt going to your house from your provider, you need to reset the modem, or the modem is dead and u need a new one.

You can use another computer to check if it will connect to the wifi and modem to check to see if it is indeed your computer that is the problem.
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#4 BoneFish

BoneFish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 296 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:59 AM

I'll try to copy the log to a thumb drive and post it with my other computer.
And thanks

#5 BoneFish

BoneFish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 296 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:48 AM

I can connect to the web with another laptop so I think the problem is my computer. Its also possible I've screwed up the radio card settings trying to fix some of my problem.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 11:34:11 AM, on 8/2/2010
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.18702)

LOG Removed

Edited by boopme, 04 August 2010 - 09:14 AM.

#6 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2010 - 07:04 PM

EDIT: removed reply to mis posted HJT log~~boopme
Please read A Reminder To Our Members Regarding Malware Logs

Hi bonefish have you had an infection in the recent past as these files are all suspect the settings proxy override*.local is probably why you can't get on internet as it setting a proxy to 127.0.0.1 which is the loopback address of your machine and therefore no internet connection probably an eror message as well which would be malware related. If you open up internet explorer and click on tools select internet options and go into lan settings i am sure there will be a checkmark in use a proxy for your lan.

Hopefully the mods will move this now to am i infected so the malware response team can have a look and advise you further as there may be malware still on your system.

I cannot advise you on removal as it is against forum rules please be patient.

Edited by boopme, 04 August 2010 - 09:13 AM.

HP Compaq 6715b Notebook--AMD Turionx2 2.2Ghz 64 Mobile TL-64--4GB DDR2 667Mhz--Compaq 6715b--fujitsu siemens 500GB sataII Internal, Toshiba 1TB EXT HD Backup--IGP ATI Radeon x1250 128MB--Broadcom a\b\g Wlan adapter built in, Sonicwall TZ100, Dlink DSL 2740b--Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and linux ubuntu dual boot--Firefox 4.0 &IE8--Eset Firewall--Nod32 antivirus & Spyware Doctor--Malwarebytes anti malware.

#7 BoneFish

BoneFish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 296 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:55 PM

I've had some problems over the years with malware but I run scans and get rid of them.
At least to the best of my knowledge I get rid of them.
I just ran Malwarebytes and it did not find anything.
Not sure if this is related but I had McAfee for many years and I uninstalled it and started using Avira. Sometime later is when I started having trouble.
The proxy server box you mentioned was not checked.
I selected help to see exactly what a proxy server is and the computer timed out again.
I tried to reconfigure my radio card again and it timed out. Won't let me close the programs either.
I'm pretty hosed up but I'm patient. This has been going on for a couple of months.
Thanks again for the help Darth.

#8 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:11 AM

I understand your frustration Bonefish sounds as though something is wrong but is nothing to do with your router as you can connect with laptop and is definitely tied to computer as you have already pointed out.

I would try and backup any important files but scan with av beforehand.

I have sent a message to a member of staff for them to have a look and move it for you just to eliminate malware.

Anytime i can help i will and i'll keep an eye out on this thread and you're welcome.

#9 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2010 - 09:10 AM

Hello is it possible for you to run DDS and post a new topic. We prefer it over HJT if possible as it is more accurate.
I will remove the HJT log in this topic as you should not have been told to post it here.
From the Forum header,Am I infected? What do I do?
No DDS, HijackThis, or ComboFix logs should be posted in this forum.

Please go here....
Preparation Guide .

Create a DDS log and post it in the new topic explained in step 9,which is here Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs and not in this topic,thanks.
If Gmer won't run,skip it and move on.

Let me know if that went well.

Edited by boopme, 04 August 2010 - 09:15 AM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#10 BoneFish

BoneFish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 296 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2010 - 06:55 PM

I'll try the DDS log along with the other preparations but I'm going to have to use another computer to download the program and put it on a thumb drive then put it on the provlem laptop.

#11 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2010 - 07:37 PM

OK, Then copy the logs to the thumb drive so you can post from the other PC. If you cant get it to work then use the HJT log if you have to.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#12 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,011 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2010 - 07:25 PM

Hello,

Now that you have posted a log here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/337480/uninstall-and-start-over/ you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a MRT Team member, nor should you ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the MRT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the MRT Team members are EXTREMELY busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the MRT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another MRT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

Please be patient. It may take several days to get a response but your log will be reviewed and answered as soon as possible. I advise checking your topic once a day for responses as the e-mail notification system is unreliable.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic. Good luck with your log.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users