Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

OpenOffice 3

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 HakaTu

HakaTu

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 01 August 2010 - 10:22 AM

Is anyone using OpenOffice.org 3 in place of Microsoft Office ... 2010? Are they really basically equal and compatible products? I need to load a office software package onto my son's new computer that he will be taking away to college, and need it to be fully functional and reliable.
Thanks, Karl

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2010 - 12:15 PM

Is anyone using OpenOffice.org 3 in place of Microsoft Office ... 2010? Are they really basically equal and compatible products? I need to load a office software package onto my son's new computer that he will be taking away to college, and need it to be fully functional and reliable.
Thanks, Karl

No, they aren't equal at all but OpenOffice is the best free alternative out there. It will be fully functional and reliable. It supports all Office file formats.

You can install it and see for yourself. I recommend it if you don't want to drop hundreds on the actual MS Office suite.

Edited by JonM33, 01 August 2010 - 12:15 PM.

#3 HakaTu

HakaTu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2010 - 02:11 PM

Thanks for the info. Are there any problems having both MS Office and OpenOffice installed at the same time? Any issues removing OpenOffice if I decided it isn't what I want? That is, does it share any resources or files with MS Office that could potentially be made inaccessible or removed along with the application?

#4 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2010 - 02:21 PM

Thanks for the info. Are there any problems having both MS Office and OpenOffice installed at the same time? Any issues removing OpenOffice if I decided it isn't what I want? That is, does it share any resources or files with MS Office that could potentially be made inaccessible or removed along with the application?

No problem using them together. I think if you install OpenOffice it might try to associate Office file format types with it though. That's just the nature of installing it after you install MS Office.

There won't be any problem removing it. It doesn't share anything with MS Office but does require JRE (Java Runtime Environment) to be installed - which is included with the OpenOffice installer.

One suggestion though. You might want to use Go-OO instead. It is a fork of the open source OpenOffice program: http://www.go-oo.org

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 01 August 2010 - 09:34 PM

I have both office suites on my computer, and use them both a different times. For all practical purposes, the two word processors and spreadsheets are very similar and have many of the same features. I have found that OO.o is quite compatible with MS Office for almost all ordinary work. There is thorough documentation for all the modules, and a user forum in which to ask questions.
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,806 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2010 - 09:58 PM

Hello HakaTu,

I too have both Open Office and MS Office installed. Go ahead and install the OpenOffice as it's freeware, but I suggest holding off on buying or installing paid software though. Here's why: Frequently universities have contracts with various software companies, and students can get paid software for a much lower cost or even free. In fact, that's how I got MS Office. I paid a grand total of $25 at the time. In addition, it is a good idea to install the software the professors of the classes want students to use. In some cases, it doesn't matter. If a professor wants a PDF document, it's a breeze to create it in Open Office.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#7 HakaTu

HakaTu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2010 - 06:35 AM

Thanks to all, your inputs were very helpful and appreciated.

#8 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 04 August 2010 - 07:10 PM

It doesn't share anything with MS Office but does require JRE (Java Runtime Environment) to be installed - which is included with the OpenOffice installer.

JRE is required only for the Base (Access equivalent). The OpenOffice package comes in two formats one without JRE and one with JRE. If you do not need Base, then you do not need to install JRE.

Edited by Romeo29, 04 August 2010 - 07:13 PM.

#9 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2010 - 07:25 PM

Ah, I see. I just install all default for it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users