Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Youtube videos dont load all the way.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jayson201

Jayson201

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 01 August 2010 - 08:54 AM

I watch RayWilliamJohnson, Wheezywaiter, Meekakitty, and all those other internet fools.....

Now, I was down in virginia with my mom, and I could watch a whole YouTube video without having to wait for it to buffer.
She has some expensive plan with Comcast (Might be 15 or 20gb, idk) and a Linksys Wireless G Router.
Im pretty sure my mother has the same internet plan as my father.
I can get up to 1.5 Mbps of actual download speeds (I D/L alot of stuff...)

Now, My fathers house, where I live. I can watch a few minutes of a video, and then the download just cuts off, and stops. (The Youtube video download, lets stay clear)
Its like somebody magically right clicked the video and clicked "Stop Download" minus the fact that Im the only person on my computer.

My dad has an old, crappy, Wireless B router. Im pretty sure our internet plan is for over 10, even 15, mbps (I can do a speedtest on the desktop later)
At times I can get as much as 500 or 600 Kbps from the router (Actual download speed. I download alotta crap, remember that part.)
Most the time I only get 100-300 Kbps
Sometimes, which is more than just a day or two, I get even less than 100 kbps......

Now... At my mothers, There were up to 2 people playing CoD online on there Playstations at a time, and up to 4 people on their laptops...All using wireless. and I STILL got darn good speeds. I dont believe I ever went below 400 kbps at my moms house, and usually hit 1mb....

At my dads house, I could be the only one using the internet, and it could suck. That's only when its wireless though. When I have my laptop hardwired into the router, I can get almost 1.5 mb....
Yet, Wireless sucks at my dads. I want to at least be able to get uninterrupted videos, I dont care if I have to wait a few seconds for it to buffer.
Now, considering the what I told you, It cant be my laptop, because I have no problem at my moms house.

Do you have any advice on how to get the fullest of uninterrupted speeds out of this crappy wireless B router?

and if you can tell me, WHY is it being interrupted to where the whole youtube vid just STOPS because it stopped downloading mid video....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2010 - 10:30 AM

You basically answered the question of "why" yourself.

My dad has an old, crappy, Wireless B router.

On the topic of how to fix: It really is no way to fix it if its just gotten too old. Wireless N is quickly becoming the new standard meaning you're 2 generations behind. If you're in a large area and can pick up other networks you may try logging into the router's panel and changing the channel it's using, but other then that you need a new router.

#3 Jayson201

Jayson201
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:26 AM

Saying its old and crappy doesnt mean thats the direct problem.....It doesnt look old, it just is old. It worked fine when I used it for the Wii, but once I got a laptop, quality just went downhill....

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:38 AM

Well see that is the thing i have a linksys G router that is much faster but it is newer i used to have a dell router that was 10 years old and ran on wireless B just like yours, it had issues just like the ones you are having so i got the linksys and it now works without interruption. You should think about getting a new router they are not as expensive as they used to be. :thumbsup:

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#5 MilesJ

MilesJ

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 02 August 2010 - 01:54 PM

Saying its old and crappy doesnt mean thats the direct problem.....It doesnt look old, it just is old. It worked fine when I used it for the Wii, but once I got a laptop, quality just went downhill....

Technology gets to a point when the internet, YouTube, Facebook and so on. Upgrade their systems and hardware while computer manufactures do as well, to a point where those services require a lot more of hardware than they did say ten years ago. While yes in theory your B class router should be 100% backwards compatible and produce the same "internet" as a class G or class N would, it seems that is not true. You have hit a wall in simple terms. Time to upgrade I would personally get a class N wireless router that way when the next standard is release you will be good to go.
Student of Networking & Network Security

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users