Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

generik32 trojan = changed folders

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 JayBlake

JayBlake

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 01 August 2010 - 06:56 AM

Hello.

First timer (please be gentle with me).

I downloaded a small torrent file and transferred that file to my 1tb external USB hard drive before opening it.

When I did open it, my Nod32 went crackers and informed me I was infected with a generik 32 trojan.

My PC seems completely screwed up now with error messages showing up left, right and centre and hardly any applications working at all.

I did some research and have performed a full system scan with Nod 32 which finds nothing (as it stated it had already cleaned it when it found it).

I've run the latest SuperAntiSpyware and just found/deleted 7 tracking cookies which I suspect were pretty harmless as I never yet ran a SaS scan without finding at least 7 tracking cookies - LOL.

I've also run SmitFraudFix in safe-mode which found nothing.

Thing is, my 1tb external drive still shows as being 850gb full in My Computer but every single folder and icon is now a 1kb shortcut whose Target Type has been changed to screensaver and whose Target has been changed to niwok.scr.

I've detached the PC from the internet but if I double-click on any of the files, an attempt is made to connect to the internet.

Got all my music, photos and documents on that flippin' drive.

Any ideas please guys?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JayBlake

JayBlake
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 01 August 2010 - 03:06 PM

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions and knowledge imparted. :trumpet:

Sorted it out for myself while you were all sitting on your thumbs. :flowers: