Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to MAKE a jailbreak program

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

#1 Fryed Bacon

Fryed Bacon

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 01 August 2010 - 06:47 AM

Yes, the title says it all. I've always wanted to TRY to make a jailbreaking program, as it would teach me programming AND it's legal now.

Edited by hamluis, 01 August 2010 - 11:56 AM.
Moved from Cell Phones to Programming ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 01 August 2010 - 12:01 PM

How much do you know about programming?

#3 Fryed Bacon

Fryed Bacon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2010 - 04:17 PM

I know a bit of python.... I can learn C# or C++. I'm honestly tired of waiting for Comex to finish.

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2010 - 06:39 PM

Your first step would be to research what 'jailbreaking' entails for a particular platform. Is it simply a matter of rewriting some config file (which I would suspect to not be the case), or does it entail rewriting a system level driver (which I would expect)? Until you know what needs to be done, worrying about how to program it is a bit pointless.

#5 Kazinsal

Kazinsal

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 01 August 2010 - 06:48 PM

Trust me, man, these guys have spent years cracking the iPhone system software. They're professional hackers playing with the firmware of the iPhone. It takes a lot more than a little bit of Python and C# to crack a device such as the iPhone. You need experience in encryption, machine language, assembly language, and the specific hardware of the machine.

It's harder than it seems ;)

--Troy

#6 Fryed Bacon

Fryed Bacon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2010 - 08:59 PM

But that's why my hobby is computers and not box car racing :thumbsup: I like a challenge. Jailbreaking started out as some computer hobbyist being bothered by the limitations of Apple with the original iphone. He found a basic exploit and well exploited it. I honestly just need something to do for a few months... going to public school and it's frigging boring...

#7 Theonus

Theonus

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 04 August 2010 - 12:48 PM

Yea I know what you mean about getting something to sink your teeth into. I got a book on C++ and another on advanced Javascript I have been telling myself to go through for ages. Never seem to get around to it though!

I think I need a new challenge myself, might go dig them out. Good luck with the jailbreaking.

:thumbsup:

#8 BluwinterFX

BluwinterFX

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2011 - 02:31 PM

i can provide you with what im pretty sure are the source files for limera1n, steaks4uce and pwnage2.
i used the github link to get them
:)

#9 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 09 February 2011 - 02:51 PM

One of the jailbreaks for the iPhone used a PDF exploit. That was the first step. The authors found a vulnerability in the PDF viewer and wrote an exploit for it.
This way, they were able to run arbitrary code (shellcode) on an iPhone.
Then the shellcode started the necessary process to remove/disable the confinement of the iPhone.

To get an idea what it takes to write a PDF exploit, you can read my free e-book on malicious PDF analysis. It is not a book on writing PDF exploits, quite the contrary. But it gives you an idea what a PDF exploit is.
http://blog.didierstevens.com/2010/09/26/free-malicious-pdf-analysis-e-book/

Edited by Didier Stevens, 09 February 2011 - 02:53 PM.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#10 Guest_trizicus_*

Guest_trizicus_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 27 March 2011 - 11:17 PM

You will need to understand a few things:

1. Assembly
2. Hexadecimal
3. Possess a Hex editor
4. Know how to 'dump' memory or 'packets'

The best place to learn how to start 'cracking' or 'jailbraking' is to use Cheat Engine to hack your games.

#11 hrf

hrf

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2011 - 04:07 PM

I am very discouraged that someone shows an interest to learn how to program and instead he gets a majority of posts asking him is reason and experience level. Did you have any intention of helping the guy or only to bash him?

I have several years experience in business programming and dont know how to hack. Are you going now going to tell me I dont know how to exploit a program and criticize my attempt now? How about pointing someone in the right direction. There is a very different aspect to learning holes in a program then there is in writing a program. How and where do you learn these skills. That is the basic question he is asking. Even those that have several years experience started somewhere.

So how about some constructive information here?

To the guy that posted the pdf hole thank you for making one good post.

#12 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 10 October 2011 - 04:40 PM

We ask about programming ability because we don't want to waste our time explaining concepts to someone that has no idea what we are talking about. I am the only one that asked about programming level, and once that question was answered, only one other person gave a post that was not really helpful. Which post specifically was 'bashing'?

Sorry you don't care for our methods, but I would point out that the OP gave no information about what research they had done, what platform they intended to target, that they had any clue what they wanted to do, or that they had any clue what they were talking about. It is a bit hard to answer so broad a question when we don't have specifics.

Any post that deals with circumventing security measures is a no-no(read the rules that you agreed to abide by). However, discussion of circumventing security measures for the point of education and discussion is completely fine. Until we know the intent, those posts will be met with some level of skepticism. This is not a cracking/hacking/warez board.

#13 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2011 - 03:37 PM

hrf

The devs made redsn0w available so those with no programming experience
can root their phone. As groovicus said, without knowing a persons skill
level how could one possibly answer that question??
Here's the pdf exploit from jailbreakme:
http://esec-lab.sogeti.com/post/Analysis-of-the-jailbreakme-v3-font-exploit
Want to explain that to me step by step?
I have programming experience; bash,c,visual basic, but never used java so
perhaps you can answer my question in my other thread.
Please step off your soap box.

Fryed Bacon
Here is a link to saffron-jailbreak by comex:
https://github.com/comex/star_

Edited by raw, 15 October 2011 - 03:45 PM.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#14 SHAZZMAZZ

SHAZZMAZZ

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:10 PM

Does anyone here know what programs i need to jailbreak, i new to hacking but so far the thing i learned about hacking is learning from hacking books and that you need to open up your device and see and learn whats in side it and learn the program language and i know hacking is hard and it can take over 10 years to be a top elite hacker but im 23 this year i no i left it late to learn but i feel that i was born to hack im trying to learn of the internet im thinking about taking hacking lessons.

#15 DarkSnake-Kobra

DarkSnake-Kobra

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:27 PM

I know nothing about jailbreaking, but I do know that it's not related to a particular program or set of rules or ways. It's really more about having an understanding of how the platform works and discovering issues that could be exploited. Most of the jailbreaks are exploits that advanced hackers made through firmware or flaws in system level code. The problem with these hacks is that the device or os manufacture is constantly fixing holes and patching things up breaking previous hacks that could jailbreak. Usually the device or os manufature prefer to make it harder to hack their products and prevent third party usage.

Edited by DarkSnake-Kobra, 07 April 2013 - 08:28 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users