Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xbox 360 Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Fryed Bacon

Fryed Bacon

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 01 August 2010 - 06:29 AM

Okay, so. I have a 250 GB internal hard drive (I still have to fully format it) and it's not being used for anything. I just ordered a used xbox 360 off of ebay, ad it only has a 20 GB hard drive. Now, my question is, is there a way to turn my 250 GB useless hard drive from my computer into a useful 250 GB hard drive in my xbox 360? And also, it should go without saying, I don't wanna be doing any firmware mods here.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kazinsal

Kazinsal

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 01 August 2010 - 06:43 PM

Okay, here's the deal. You can't turn an ATA/SATA/SCSI hard drive into an XBOX 360 hard drive. You can, however, use an external USB hard drive with it. I'd suggest using one of those.

Or, you know, you could just buy a 120 GB XBOX hard drive for less than a hundred bucks :thumbsup:

#3 Fryed Bacon

Fryed Bacon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2010 - 08:54 PM

But see the thing is I don't have a hundred bucks :thumbsup: and also what kind of hard drive does the xbox 360 use?

#4 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 02 August 2010 - 03:24 AM

I believe it uses a 2.5" SATA drive. You'll have to disassemble the casing for the HDD in order to swap it out. Please note that this will void the warranty.

Don't bother trying this on the new 360 "slim" models.
A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

#5 Kazinsal

Kazinsal

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 02 August 2010 - 04:12 AM

Also, rewiring the insides of the HDD to work with your SATA drive might be a pain in the rear. An expensive, warranty-voiding pain in the rear.

#6 Fryed Bacon

Fryed Bacon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2010 - 06:09 AM

2.5" Is any given laptop hard drive correct? I have access to several of those. Also, what warranty? If you didn't read my first post entirely, I wrote that I got it used off of ebay. My question is, how long will it take, what do I need, and is it possible?

Edit: I have an old iPod hard drive, it's 2.5" and it's 30 gigs. The iPod itself is useless, but all I need to do is magnetize the hard drive.

Edited by Fryed Bacon, 02 August 2010 - 06:10 AM.

#7 RiPPeN

RiPPeN

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2010 - 06:24 PM

you don't really have to rewire anything... once you open up the casing theres a plug that you pull out of the old hdd and plug into the new one and slide the new one in the old ones place... then when you connect it you can "format" it ... i've switched 2 xbox hard drives but never a non-xbox hard drive but i'd imagine it's the same... hope that helps

#8 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 07 August 2010 - 06:55 PM

there are ways you can mod a xbox 360 to run any size SATA hard drive you want, however these mods are often just as pricey as buying a xbox 360 hard drive or replacing it with a laptop hard drive (if I recall, the xbox 360 hard drive is a sata 2.5 inch laptop hard drive inside that little box) just be warned, modding it or putting a non microsoft certified hard drive into it voids your warranty, and if it recognizes it as a mod you will be banned from xbox live.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#9 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2010 - 01:15 PM

Okay, here's the deal. You can't turn an ATA/SATA/SCSI hard drive into an XBOX 360 hard drive. You can, however, use an external USB hard drive with it. I'd suggest using one of those.

Or, you know, you could just buy a 120 GB XBOX hard drive for less than a hundred bucks :thumbsup:

If you can get a 1TB external USB hard drive for less than a hundred bucks why would you spend that same amount on a 120GB drive? :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users