Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is the programs that have to be on start up for Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Tracyd22

Tracyd22

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 31 July 2010 - 11:29 PM

I am getting a new laptop next week with Windows 7 on it and I am wondering if I can delete some of the auto installed programs that Microsoft installs that I never use that have slowed down my current computer and all others in the past.

I tried to look a tthe startup list but I guess I'm not as computer literate as I thought or I'm tired and can't make heads or tails of it. Is there a list of absolutely need programs that come pre-installed so I can get rid of the rest?

Thanks in advance for any help that is provided.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 t3chie

t3chie

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2010 - 05:20 AM

There are several services and features you can disable if you don't intend to use them within Windows 7, I'm not sure about your current situation or what you intend to use. But two good starts would be to first get: CodeStuff's Starter

Starter is a program that is a lot more convenient (and typically recommended over MSConfig) to configure: startups, processes, and services.

Second, you can go to your Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> Left hand side, "Turn Windows features on and off"

As a general rule of thumb, if you aren't 100% sure what it is, DO NOT disable it. Finding out if a startup, process, or service is required for Windows to function is as simple as grabbing the name and throwing it in Google.

Edited by t3chie, 01 August 2010 - 05:35 AM.

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” - Mahatma Gandhi

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 01 August 2010 - 09:54 AM

Finding out if a startup, process, or service is required for Windows to function is as simple as grabbing the name and throwing it in Google.

Or, you could search using the Startup List tab, at the top of this page. :huh:
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 t3chie

t3chie

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2010 - 11:56 AM

Finding out if a startup, process, or service is required for Windows to function is as simple as grabbing the name and throwing it in Google.

Or, you could search using the Startup List tab, at the top of this page. :huh:

Oh I see, I actually thought they was referring to msconfig or the task manager. :huh:

They said they was having some issues going through the Startup List so I gave an alternative. Thanks for the tip though.

Edited by t3chie, 01 August 2010 - 11:57 AM.

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” - Mahatma Gandhi

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2010 - 05:24 PM

That's what the database is for, t3chie.
Just type in your entry from msconfig, or the Task Manager, into the Search text field in the upper portion of the page.
If it's in the database, the results will be shown, flagged with either a:

Y - should be left alone and be allowed to run
N - unnecessary to run this program automatically when Windows starts
U - up to you whether or not you feel this program needs to run automatically
X - should definitely not start up automatically, as they are generally malware such as viruses, trojans, hijackers, spyware, etc.
? - status of this entry is unknown at this time and more research is necessary.

Is there a list of absolutely need programs that come pre-installed so I can get rid of the rest?

To answer Tracyd22's question; NO.
There's no set-in-stone list.
Every person, and every computer have different requirements as to what needs to be running at startup.
It all depends on what the individual feels he needs quick access to.
It going to take some research, on the part of the individual, to decide what his particular requirements are.

The program recommended by t3chie, CodeStuff's Starter, is a good program for controlling what does, and doesn't run, at startup.

A list I use, to determine which Services I want running at startup, can be found at Black Viper's Web Site.
For your particular setup; Windows 7 Service Configurations by Black Viper
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#6 Tracyd22

Tracyd22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2010 - 06:39 PM

Thank you for answering, but I am still not sure. I do a lot of business stuff (I AM NOT A COMPUTER GURU as you can probably tell) and I am tired of my laptop taking so long to start up. I do set up the defrag and disk cleanup to do its work but because I don't know I don't mess with the start up menu. I did look at the start up list and I guess I have to learn a little more about computers to be able to do this stuff. My question is from a novice to experts. If I am going to use the new laptop for normal accounting, letter writing, spreadsheet creation, along with internet exploring and email creation/replying/receiving, what microsoft already installed/executed programs can I get off the start up to make the system boot up faster and run smoothly? Sorry to be so :huh: and really its ok for you guys to :huh: but any help would be appreciated.

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2010 - 08:01 PM

Sorry Tracyd22, but that's something only you can determine.
It's not an easy fix.
It's something you need to research.

If it's something you're constantly using, I would let it run at startup.
If it's something you rarely use, I would disable it from startup.

A slow computer could be caused by a lot of cached/temp files
Try CCleaner.
It's a good program, for cleaning out the usually hidden garbage on your system, that can significantly slow it down.

WARNING!!!!
Stay away from the Registry cleaning part of CCleaner.
Improper changes to the registry could render your computer inoperable.

If you stay away from that part of the application, this is a perfectly safe program to use.

#8 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 04 August 2010 - 09:30 AM

Welcome Tracyd22. The proper start up programs for ones use is done with research and choosing what you want. I have very few things starting because I choose it that way. Any program that I use a lot I have a desktop Icon, one click away. I agree with tg1911 100%, WARNING!!!!
Stay away from the Registry cleaning part of CCleaner.

Improper changes to the registry could render your computer inoperable.
Been there once and won't do it again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users