Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

File Format's Are Unrecognizable, .exe's Don't Work...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 miatch

miatch

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 25 October 2005 - 06:32 PM

Well this is a new one to me..

one day, all the programs on my hard drive (less internet explorer) decide to stop functioning.

The face of all icons converted to the unrecognizable format icon

Any time a shortcut or direct icon executable is clicked, a pop-up appears:

Windows cannot open this file.... in order to open this file, windows needs to know what program created it.... Gives you the option to search for the program yourself, or use the Web service to find the correct program to open it

Now I've been getting by doing my schoolwork by right clicking word files and "open with: Microsoft Word", listening to music and right clicking a what would be .mp3 file, choosing "open with windows media" (although double-clicking an mp3 as usual yeilds the pop-up)

Note: windows media player opens, but with the internet explorer title bar and window frame around it....

Also my DVD burner and CD ROM will not read anything but previously closed discs

USB devices will work (webcam and digi-cam), i can acess the webcam software indirectly (no by simply clicking the icons)

So my question is, is there something extremely wrong in the registry, critical files to run XP, familiar virus, etc etc?

If all else fails, I'll format my computer and start fresh :thumbsup:.. I just don't want to loose my hard earned music library

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 IsMe

IsMe

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 26 October 2005 - 08:56 AM

Did you try restoring the registry to a previous date when you did not have the problem?

Edited by jgweed, 26 October 2005 - 11:08 AM.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 26 October 2005 - 11:14 AM

It may be that, for whatever reason, you file associations have become "hosed" (I love technical jargon). Find a Word file, right click on it, and click on properties in the resulting pop up box. If it is "opening with" anything other than MS Word, then you can change it and all such files (there is a small box at the bottom of the screen that shows available choices that says something like "always use this program to open these files."
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users