Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Battlefield Vietnam vs. Bad Company 2

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OS51

OS51

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 31 July 2010 - 09:44 PM

A guy said to me that the gameplay in Battlefield: Vietnam was superior to that of Bad Company 2. I was wondering what y'alls' opinions are about these two games.

By the way, does driving the vehicles (I've only played the 1942 demo) give any of you folks headaches? I suppose it could have been my imagination, but I seemed to get headaches after driving the vehicles or riding in the mounted turrets and read that the screen bobbing up and down can cause headaches. I play other games without headaches so it's not just a general "allergy" to video games, and I was wondering if you others knew what this was, and also: Would the better/different graphics of Bad Company 2 eliminate the headaches?

-OS51

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Barajiqal

Barajiqal

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 03 August 2010 - 10:50 AM

Hmmm, haven't played either of those but I've never been a big fan of historical shooters so I vote Bad Company 2. Overall though I'd say wait for Black Ops or go MW2
"I am Become Death, Destroyer of Worlds" - (Verse 32 Chapter 11 of the Bhagavad Gita) Robert J Oppenheimer

"Any Man Who Has a Habit and Cannot Bear to Share it Should not Have the Habit at All" - Misqoute From Rolland of Gillead in the Stephen King Series The Dark Tower

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 03 August 2010 - 10:43 PM

personally, Ive never been a fan of any of the battlefield series until bad company 2 game came out, now I play that almost exclusively and love it. Im hesitant about black ops, glad they brought back dedicated servers, but Im still miffed over what they pulled with mw2

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 OS51

OS51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2010 - 07:47 PM

Well, why then? :thumbsup: What's better about it? What's the difference?

-OS51

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2010 - 10:35 PM

I dunno, part of it may be im running it on a system that can handle it, previous battlefield games Ive played have never been on systems that were capable of handling it. The gameplay is definetly a bit better, better graphics, guns, etc.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#6 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2010 - 12:41 PM

A guy said to me that the gameplay in Battlefield: Vietnam was superior to that of Bad Company 2. I was wondering what y'alls' opinions are about these two games.

By the way, does driving the vehicles (I've only played the 1942 demo) give any of you folks headaches? I suppose it could have been my imagination, but I seemed to get headaches after driving the vehicles or riding in the mounted turrets and read that the screen bobbing up and down can cause headaches. I play other games without headaches so it's not just a general "allergy" to video games, and I was wondering if you others knew what this was, and also: Would the better/different graphics of Bad Company 2 eliminate the headaches?

-OS51

Being a previous addict of the Battlefield 2 game (1,287 hours played), which used the same Refractor 2 engine as Vietnam, and a current player of Battlefield: Bad Company 2 I can say that BC2 is a LOT better. What plagued the Battlefield 2 game (and Vietnam) was hit detection.

Between the two games, you are better off with Bad Company 2 because it is new and there are a LOT of local servers for it. The older Battlefield games are active but not as many servers.

#7 OS51

OS51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2010 - 01:58 PM

Could anyone compare/contrast the gameplay aspects?

-OS51

#8 Starkey

Starkey

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2010 - 05:55 PM

Well, there's a pretty obvious one you seem to either not care about/are overlooking:

One takes place in 'Nam, and one doesn't!

That right there is a pretty big difference.
Plus, the Frostbite engine utilized by BF:BC2 is far more open than the engine used by BF:Vietnam.

Vietnam, if I recall correctly, wasn't as popular as '42, either.

#9 OS51

OS51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2010 - 10:47 AM

Lol. True. Locale is important. xD

What do you mean by "open?" Like you can do more with it etc.?

Yeah, I think you're right about popularity. One guy theorized that it could be because WWII was a more famous war.

-OS51

#10 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2010 - 11:50 AM

In Battlefield Vietnam if you shoot a wall with a tank, the wall is invincible and doesn't receive as much as a scratch. In Battlefield Bad Company 2, if you shoot that wall with a tank it is going to blow up along with anyone on the other side of it. Depending on the weapon you can shoot through things like fences, etc.

Bad Company 2 really is state of the art when it comes to gaming.

#11 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2010 - 01:49 AM

hehe true that. Nothing more annoying then having a tank blast through the wall your hiding behind right before you pull the trigger when sniping. extremely annoying, but I suppose realistic, to a point (Im not sure many tank commanders would justify shooting a house just to be rid of a sniper in real life, but then again, ive never actually been to war) On the other note, I can't say I havent used that method of getting rid of snipers myself.

picard5.jpg

#12 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2010 - 08:51 AM

It happens all the time actually. When you see enemy combatants going into a building, that building is generally blown up by tanks, air strikes, M203 grenade launchers or AT4 rocket launchers. It's safer than risking troops by sending them into an ambush.

Most snipers I kill just by walking up to them and knifing them. Most snipers are so concentrated on long distance targets that they don't pay attention.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users