Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do I need this for building a new computer?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 outdoor

outdoor

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 31 July 2010 - 09:10 PM

I am in the process of building a computer. I want to put windows 7 on it. Since I'm building it do I need the "Windows 7 for system Builders"? Or can I just get the Regular?
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 31 July 2010 - 09:14 PM

Regular (retail) or OEM(for system builders) will work fine. Just more of a problem transferring the OEM version of Windows over to a new system (motherboard). According to the EULA, you technically can't with the OEM. The retail is transferable to a new build should you decide to do a motherboard upgrade.

Edited by dpunisher, 31 July 2010 - 09:16 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 outdoor

outdoor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2010 - 09:22 PM

Well its a new motherboard hard drive ram processor.
So the regular retail will work?

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2010 - 01:22 AM

I believe you misunderstood dpunisher. You can use OEM, but note that once you install it, Windows 7 OEM cannot be transferred to a new motherboard as per the license. There is no technical mechinism preventing you from doing this, however. Retail copies are permitted, by the license, to be transferred but installed on only one system at a time. Almost everyone who builds PC's goes for the OEM version, those who go for the retail version rebuild their PC's constantly.

3939.png

#5 outdoor

outdoor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2010 - 09:40 AM

Whats the difference between them. Besides the OEM version is cheaper?

#6 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2010 - 10:35 AM

End-User License Agreement is different.

#7 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2010 - 10:44 AM

I believe you misunderstood dpunisher.

Well, to be fair, my communication skills leave much to be desired.

Think of OEM and retail like this.
OEM is tied to your current motherboard and cannot be moved to another system.
Retail is your copy to do with as you please. You can install the OS on any number of systems, but on no more than 1 system at a time. The functionality/featureset of OEM and retail is the same.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#8 outdoor

outdoor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2010 - 01:33 PM

And the retail verison is what you buy at stores?

#9 boethe

boethe

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2010 - 03:05 PM

Since this is a difficult topic, I recommend someone try to find actual information from a Microsoft site and/or copy the specific information from the EULA for 7 and compare to language in Vista. There seems to be much hearsay and speculation on the web but after spending about a half hour browsing I could not find factual information with credibility satisfying my threshold for truth. The most common claim is that the EULA changed between Vista and 7 is a way that puts the use for home builders in doubt.

With Vista I have seen testimonials of home builders with OEM who have had their authorization trigger due to changing to many parts who have successfully called (or received call?) with Microsoft and reenabled their authorization. It may be to early for that to happen to anyone with 7 but if it has your testimonial would be of interest.

Here is a start:

Is it ok to use OEM on your own PC?

#10 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2010 - 06:54 PM

I am in the process of building a computer. I want to put windows 7 on it. Since I'm building it do I need the "Windows 7 for system Builders"? Or can I just get the Regular?
Thanks

Yes, you can get the OEM version. It's what I got for mine.

#11 outdoor

outdoor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2010 - 07:52 PM

And it comes with everything the retail version comes with. Like Media Center?

#12 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2010 - 07:55 PM

Yes, it comes with all the same software....just not a retail package and YOU provide your own support.

#13 outdoor

outdoor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2010 - 08:38 PM

Do u still get automatic updates? Like your drivers and stuff?

#14 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 01 August 2010 - 08:54 PM

They are exactly the same, except for the End Users License Agreement.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#15 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2010 - 09:42 PM

Aside from the license agreement, both retail and OEM versions of Windows 7 are exactly the same. Also, do not compare Windows 7 product editions with Vista's as Microsoft has taken a different approach with Windows 7. In Vista, the professional versions lacked some of the software the home premium version had. In Windows 7, each version is a superset of each other, so Home Premium has everything a standard home user would want, Professional would have all that plus a few business oriented extras, Enterprise has everything in Home Premium and Professional with a few more corporate enhancements, and Ultimate has everything. Almost 99% of all home users really only need Home Premium.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users