Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

explorer doesn't boot and my computer isn't accessible

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 BAG56

BAG56

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 31 July 2010 - 07:50 PM

Okay, first off I'd like to say hi I am a newbie to this site and would like you guys to know that your doing a great job with techies and not so techies!

Now down to business....... I don't know how it began but out of the blue explorer didn't boot! I have no idea how it could have happened but it did. I tried to load it through task manager no good it acts as if explorer isn't a command or application, stating I should try typing it again and checking the spelling because what I typed couldn't be found. I tried to access my computer and that was no good as well I was able to reach, regedit, msconfig, and taskmanager, even access the internet still using taskmngr to open my browser. I was so mad at what happened I blindly went through the registry and deleted a few items. I know that was a bone headed move and even more a kicker I didn't log what I did! Sorry I'm a newbie. I was suffering a bit searching for fixes through google because a lot of the time I was being redirected to other sites which lead me to believe it was for sure some type of virus my McAffee missed. So disgusted I used Combofix with out the proper knowledge of using, It did stop the redirecting of sites and sped up the booting process which had slowed extremely! I do have the logs the 2 times I used it, plus I used another called hitman pro it detected that Microsoft Office 2007 was a virus and a host of others. I take complete responsibility if my PC isn't able to boot from here on out, but I have used the fix with out any extra damage being done I will attach both logs and hope that you guys can save a drowning newbie please have mercy on us impatient people and lend out a techy hand thank you for your time!

Attached Files

• Attached File  log.txt   27.92KB   4 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Master Surgeon General

• Malware Response Team
  • 11,184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:37 PM

Hi, BAG56 smile.gif

welcome.gif

While in the Task Manager, press the CTRL key and click on New Task simultaneously. The Command prompt window will be displayed. Copy and Paste the following command and press Enter:

Copy c:\windows\system32\dllcache\explorer.exe C:\Windows

If asked to overwrite, select Yes.

Restart the computer.

No request for help throughout private messaging will be attended.

If I have helped you, consider making a donation to help me continue the fight against Malware!
btn_donate_SM.gif

#3 JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Master Surgeon General

• Malware Response Team
  • 11,184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 12 August 2010 - 11:08 PM

Due to the lack of feedback this Topic is closed to prevent others from posting here. If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!

No request for help throughout private messaging will be attended.

If I have helped you, consider making a donation to help me continue the fight against Malware!
btn_donate_SM.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users