Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Copying Between Drives is Slow

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mfc90125

mfc90125

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 31 July 2010 - 06:47 PM

Greetings,

Whenever I attempt to transfer between drives, my OS runs very slow and takes 10 seconds or more to access files or other drives. Audio is also broken up during this time.

I have the following configuration:
- Dell Dimension 4550 running 2GB of RAM
- XPSP3
- Three drives, all IDE: a primary 320GB, a secondary 320GB, and a secondary 2TB which is off a Sony DL burner (this drive is set to Master, while the 2TB is set to slave).

If I move a file within a drive, performace doesn't change - it only happens while transferring between drives.

I am about to re-image my primary OS drive, so I'm hoping doing so will solve the problem.

Any thoughts?

Matt

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 31 July 2010 - 07:21 PM

Well...your setup for your large drive is wrong, IMO.

The hard drive should be the master, while the optical drive should be the slave.

You might also check the DMA settings for each drive.

DMA Settings In XP - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;en-us;Q310751

You might also defrag each drive, after running chkdsk /r on each.

Moving files within a drive...should be slower than moving them from drive to drive, as I understand it.

Louis

#3 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 31 July 2010 - 07:55 PM

does thats all hardrive is IDE???
try a very good IDE cable...or use a software...or do some tweaking stuff...
or maybe you need to understand that windows have limit transfer rate...

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2010 - 09:46 PM

You can also try TeraCopy: http://www.codesector.com/teracopy.php

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 mfc90125

mfc90125
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2010 - 12:18 PM

Sorry that I was not entirely clear in my original posting - this problem has bee happening even before installing the 2TB drive. The other two drives I mentioned both experience very slow transfer rates.

Hamluis, I did look at the link you provided and checked to make sure all of my drives were configured for "DMA if Available." The only drive which appears to be a PIO is the Secondary IDE Channel Device 0, which I think is the optical drive.

Again, I was experiencing these problems long before I installed the 2TB. I am in the process of prepping for a re-image of the boot drive, so hopefully this problem will rectify itself. Until then, any thoughts to my update would be appreciated.

Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users