Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft to release an OOB security patch for the shortcut vulnerability

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 31 July 2010 - 05:54 PM

Microsoft has announced that they are going to release an OOB, or out of band, security patch for the Windows shortcut vulnerability. This patch will be released on Monday, August 2, 2010 at or around 10 AM PDT.Microsoft has stated:
"We are releasing the bulletin as we've completed the required testing and the update has achieved the appropriate quality bar for broad distribution to customers. Additionally, we're able to confirm that, in the past few days, we've seen an increase in attempts to exploit the vulnerability. We firmly believe that releasing the update out of band is the best thing to do to help protect our customers."
It is important that everyone installs this patch when it is released. I, or someone else, will post here when it becomes available for download.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,487 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2010 - 09:30 PM

Hey just a heads up, the link no longer works and no longer brings you to the blog post, additionally i am unable to find the blog post. :thumbsup:
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 Casey_boy

Casey_boy

Bleeping physicist

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 01 August 2010 - 12:31 PM

The link is just missing the correct file extension. Add px to the end of the address or alternatively:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/msrc/archive/20...ry-2286198.aspx

Casey

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Am I Infected? * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2010 - 07:12 PM

Fixed the link.

Thanks

#5 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,487 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2010 - 08:10 PM

You're very :thumbsup:
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#6 Kabo0m

Kabo0m

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2010 - 11:51 AM

I noticed in my hijackthis log after odd errors after clicking my rocketdock shortcuts and desktop shortcuts (before I read the microsoft update) this:

O24 - Desktop Component 0: (no name) - (no file)

That is related to that isn't it?

DESKTOP - Main Rig:   Passmark & Mobo  (Manual) &  my Speccy (Video card is Radeon 7770) & 4Gb DDR2 RAM
NETBOOK:   PC: Acer Aspire ONE (D250 10.1")    //   CPU: Intel® Atom CPU N270 @ 1.60GHz   RAM: 2.0 GB  DDR2
Video Card: Intel® GMA 950 (256Mb)     OS:   Windows 7 Starter 32-bit SP1

#7 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:49 PM

Nope... see here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/...42.html#O24Diag

#8 TechlessOS_3211

TechlessOS_3211

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 09 August 2010 - 09:29 PM

I cannot install this update for some reason...I have Vista 32-bit SP2 (or so system properties tells me) but both the updates for Vista SP2 and Vista x64 SP2 tell me the update does not apply to my system.

...Do I need to move this in this Vista section, or is it ok to post it here?

Edited by TechlessOS_3211, 09 August 2010 - 09:33 PM.

#9 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2010 - 08:49 AM

I would ask for help in the Vista section.

#10 doctorphibes

doctorphibes

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2010 - 11:19 PM

That should last all of 5 minutes
:thumbsup:
I am enough of the artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. Albert Einstein

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users