Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard and Touchscreen not working

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 pn12

pn12

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 31 July 2010 - 01:32 PM

Hello,

I have a Toshiba Satellite L505D-S5983 Laptop that was working just fine until today, when all of a sudden the keyboard and touchpad stopped working. The external mouse still operates. Is there something really obvious that I'm not seeing here? Appreciate any help. Thanks
Pat

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ajhandyman

ajhandyman

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 03 August 2010 - 11:20 AM

I have the exact same problem with the same unit, does anyone have any suggestions? I have downloaded the driver from toshiba and tried to restore the system to just prior to the malfunction and still no keyboard or touchpad.

Edited by ajhandyman, 03 August 2010 - 11:22 AM.

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 03 August 2010 - 11:32 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

I have a very helpful link for you, this whole web site is for Toshiba laptops and how to disassemble them.

http://www.irisvista.com/tech/

Hope you find this to be helpful.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 ajhandyman

ajhandyman

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 03 August 2010 - 02:55 PM

Bruce - thanks for the link. On a scale of 1 - 10, how difficult is it to get my keyboard and touchpad operational? how far into the dis-assembly do I have to go? I must say that, although I am pretty mechanically inclined, I have never attempted to do any repairs on a computer. From your guide, I don't think I'd be afraid to attempt this endeavor. are there any hidden potential pitfalls that I should be aware of?

Thanks,
A.J.

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 04 August 2010 - 12:53 PM

You would have to exercise extreme caution, so as not to damage any ribbon wires or zero insertion force connecters while dissasembling the laptop.
You also have to protect against zapping any components inside the laptop with static electricity from your body. Ground yourself to a cold water pipe in your house to discharge yourself from any possible static electricity.

I do not know if the issue here is driver related since both the keyboard and touch pad are both not working.
This would indicate a faulty electrical connection between the motherboard and the keyboard pad or a controller failure.

By the way, I will provide you with a link to Toshiba's support web site for this laptop model. The link below is to the pdf version of the owners manual.
http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su...ily=1073768663#

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 04 August 2010 - 12:53 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users