Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstalling Windows

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dovbaruch

dovbaruch

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 31 July 2010 - 12:42 PM

I have a not so old computer. does reinstalling windows make it go fast again?

Question number two is if it true what should i do? a friend told to to take all the files (not programs) that i want to keep put them on my external, reinstall windows and (this is where i'm confused) run a scan that will find any corrupted areas my my hard drive so that windows will not copy over there. is that true? if so what program would i use and when should i use because if i'm reinstalling windows how can i run a scan like that?

thank ou for ur help in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 31 July 2010 - 02:09 PM

does reinstalling windows make it go fast again?

Generally speaking, yes. Obviously, any improvement is limited by your computer specs.

if so what program would i use and when should i use because if i'm reinstalling windows how can i run a scan like that?

Do it now...

1. Click Start, click Run, type chkdsk /f /r, and then click OK.
2. At the command prompt, type Y to let the disk scanner run when you restart the computer.
3. Restart the computer.
4. Chkdsk will run.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,183 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 31 July 2010 - 04:24 PM

I don't think reinstalling is a permanent solution. I have read that some folks advocate that you "need" to reinstall once a year or something like that.

My XP has been installed for 6+ years and I have never done a reinstall, repair or used a restore point (except to practice).

I did replace the motherboard about 3 years ago though (2007)... but it was the same one I had.

Mine just keeps getting faster the more I learn about it (and I do actually measure it). A couple tenths of a second here or there...

If you reinstall it will certainly run faster for a while, but soon event that will be "too slow" when the new wears off. I need things to be instantaneous so do the best I can with what I've got!

It will never be fast enough and it will never be as fast as it was, but you can almost always find ways to make things peppier.

Edited by joseibarra, 31 July 2010 - 04:27 PM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users