Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Start menu glitch?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 REfan001

REfan001

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 31 July 2010 - 10:29 AM

Sometimes when I click on my start button, usually after startup, a balloon comes up and tells me that some items cannot be shown and that I have too many items pinned to my start menu. I didn't really know what this meant because I didn't have that many things pinned to the start menu, so I cleared all the pinned items and it still said it. In the screen shot I provided you can see that there are only three things pinned to the start menu, yet it says that I have too many. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 31 July 2010 - 11:50 AM

See here: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,1961464,00.asp

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 REfan001

REfan001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2010 - 01:06 PM

See here: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,1961464,00.asp

didn't work

Edited by REfan001, 31 July 2010 - 01:11 PM.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,614 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2010 - 01:08 PM

Works fine for me....

This message has confused many people. It seems to say that you've pinned too many items to the Start menu, but that's not the only possibility. The left-hand side of the Start menu holds two special collections of icons. Above the line are those you've pinned to the Start menu, and below are those that Microsoft Windows thinks are your most-used apps. If the total number in both groups is too large to display, one or more of the most-used apps won't show up, and you'll get the warning.

This is easy to solve. Right-click the task bar, choose Properties, click the Start menu tab, and click the Customize button. In the middle, there's a control labeled Number of programs on Start menu. Click the Start button, count the menu items below the line, and set this value to match. Click OK, OK, and the warning won't bother you again.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 31 July 2010 - 01:11 PM

I opened it without problem
Here is what it says:

This message has confused many people. It seems to say that you've pinned too many items to the Start menu, but that's not the only possibility. The left-hand side of the Start menu holds two special collections of icons. Above the line are those you've pinned to the Start menu, and below are those that Microsoft Windows thinks are your most-used apps. If the total number in both groups is too large to display, one or more of the most-used apps won't show up, and you'll get the warning.

This is easy to solve. Right-click the task bar, choose Properties, click the Start menu tab, and click the Customize button. In the middle, there's a control labeled Number of programs on Start menu. Click the Start button, count the menu items below the line, and set this value to match. Click OK, OK, and the warning won't bother you again.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#6 REfan001

REfan001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2010 - 01:17 PM

yea it opened the fourth time I clicked it, for some reason it kept telling me the article couldn't be found. Also, that didn't work. I had 5 icons underneath the line, so I set it to 5 and it still popped up

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,614 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2010 - 01:36 PM

More options: http://www.smartcomputing.com/techsupport/...p;ErrorID=22289

My Website

p4433470.gif

#8 REfan001

REfan001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2010 - 02:53 PM

More options: http://www.smartcomputing.com/techsupport/...p;ErrorID=22289

nope, none of that worked either

#9 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,614 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2010 - 03:41 PM

Well, more options are on you: http://www.google.com/search?q=Some+Items+...lient=firefox-a

My Website

p4433470.gif

#10 REfan001

REfan001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2010 - 05:48 PM

alright, I figured it out, I set the number of programs to 0 and set it to small icons. that made it go away. but thanks for your help

#11 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,614 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2010 - 05:49 PM

Nice job :thumbsup:

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users