Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is the Value of No Script?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Hal06

Hal06

• Members
  • 927 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 31 July 2010 - 09:44 AM

I've read and been told that No Script is an important software to have installed. Okay, I've had it for a month or two now. But what is its value? I just don't understand. Is it worth the frustration of having to allow every new website? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2010 - 09:04 PM

It is of great value. It blocks XSS attacks and driver by attacks using scripts on sites. You should allow scripts only on known good sites.

#3 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 31 July 2010 - 09:46 PM

I've read and been told that No Script is an important software to have installed. Okay, I've had it for a month or two now. But what is its value? I just don't understand. Is it worth the frustration of having to allow every new website? Thanks.

To me it wasn't worth the frustration. A lot of the bad reported websites will be blocked by Firefox anyway. As long as you only browse reputable (and trusted) websites then you will be fine without NoScript.

#4 SylarZero

SylarZero

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2010 - 12:13 PM

I personally love Noscript. It can be a pain to allow the sites you regularly browse at first. But the protection it provides is invaluable.

Any website can come under attack. I first got Noscript when a website I regularly visited was attacked, and a fakeantivirus was put on my computer. Luckily it wasn't too hard to remove. I just had to restart, open MSCONFIG before the process started. Disable it. Restart again. Download MalwareBytes. Then remove it.

Since I've downloaded Noscript, I've not had so much as a tracking cookie.

#5 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2010 - 12:28 PM

Any website can come under attack.

I wouldn't say any website per se. Most websites are running safeguards to prevent attacks. The vulnerable ones are the personal websites running PHP based portals with SQL backends.

A better (and less instrusive and frustrating) alternative if you fear your internet browsing is to use Sandboxie and run your browser in a sandbox.

Edited by JonM33, 01 August 2010 - 02:48 PM.

#6 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2010 - 04:43 AM

As long as you only browse reputable (and trusted) websites then you will be fine without NoScript.

It has been seen in the past that sites like newyorktimes.com, twitter.com, facebook.com were used to distribute malware using the XSS attack. The only possible way (on the user level) to prevent is to use NoScript or disable Scripting.

#7 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2010 - 08:23 AM

I don't use Twitter but I have never had a problem with Facebook at all.

Edit - Then again, I only add Friends that I know and trust.

Edited by JonM33, 02 August 2010 - 08:32 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users