Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 justice501

justice501

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 31 July 2010 - 09:24 AM

:thumbsup: Looking for a little help with a memory chip update. Started a new project and wanted to update the memory before I start using the unit. This unit hopefully will be a lot more computer than I am using now! What I have is a Premio Bx 212E ,BIOS is award 4.1 PC. It shows on the splash screen that it's a Pentium 3 Processor running at 500 MH. This is kinda odd because somewhere in the setup screen it shows processor is running at 300 MH. That another kettle of fish. The mother board is the Intel 82440 bx more know as the 82443 bx with Intel ATX BX1 chip set. This unit has 4 slots that takes the 168 pin Dimms . When I got the unit it had 2 memory module one was 32 and the other 64 no name memory. It was non-buffer and no ECC and it was working. I pull that out and put in 2 256 133, no name unbuffered non ECC memory modules and it work that was in slots 1&2. The manual I'd downloaded for it states that it doesn't matter what slot you install them. It did say you should use only PC 66 or PC 100. What I want to do is push it to 1gb. Here is what it says in the manual The main board supports a maximum of 512 MB (8MX8) or 1 GB (16MX4) registered Dimms only. It provides four 168 pin dimm (Double In Line Memory Module) sockets. It supports 8MB to 256 Megabyte Dimm Memory Module. Well I had two module that would never work in any other computers I own. IBM 13M32734 BCD-360Y (32X72) E 100 On a Google search I found that these were use in servers and the module was register. First I tried them in 3 & 4 slots and left the other 2 in 1& 2 slots. Ran a memory test program and showed that I still had only 512 MB and slots 3 & 4 showing bad memory. I turn the memory around and put IBM Modules in 1 & 2 slots no name in 3 & 4. Again ran test showed 512 MB and 3 & 4 bad memory! Well I had 4 modules no name but have the same parameters 256 Modules, non ECC, 3.3 volts. pc 133, The modules is good memory I had tested them and I was using the modules in different computers. Install them and retest the system again showing 512 MB and 3 & 4 showing bad memory. Pull all that out and put the IBM in slots 3 & 4. Again work fine showing no errors. So does this mean I should locate 2 more modules of IBM that is register. Are if I find 2 other 256 modules that are register and install them in order to get the 1 GB. This is the first time I ever had a computer needing register modules. I know what the what the theory is behind registry modules. Also I did try to contact their support at Premio, what came up was a form in a different language that I do not know. Finally would anyone have any input as to a direction to go or am I barking up the wrong tree and it would not work!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2010 - 09:32 PM

You are working on a system that is 10+ years old. I highly doubt there is any tech support available for it.

Many BX boards had problems running with all 4 memory slots full. It was a toss up whether the system would boot/be stable with all of the slots filled. Some manufacturers install seperate buffer chips on the motherboard to enable running with all slots full, but to my knowledge Intel branded motherboards never did.

That PIII CPU won't make it to 1gig. The best you can really hope for is 667 (assuming it is currently a 500), and that is running the memory/FSB at 133.

BX was a great chipset, likely one of the best/toughest ever made. "Was" is the keyword.

http://homepage.hispeed.ch/rscheidegger/ram_bx_faq.html

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 justice501

justice501
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2010 - 10:27 PM

:thumbsup: Well dpunshier thanks for the info and the link. I certainly learn a lot more about memory and how it works. Yea it is and old system but it a lot better than the one I am using. This is a real old peice I think Edison was using it. I am pertty sure what to do now. Again thankyou for the info.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users