Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rare drivers

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jayplowtyde

jayplowtyde

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 31 July 2010 - 08:05 AM

occasionally my computer repair job requires me to search the internet for drivers. most sites i come across don't even house the driver they advertise. can someone please suggest a free, and maybe an inexpensive paid site that houses 95% of drivers so that we can reformat without much worry to make our customers happier? nice forum btw, look forward to giving and getting advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 31 July 2010 - 08:22 AM

The best advice i can give is somewhat threefold:

a. Users need to hang on to the drivers CD which came with the motherboard/system.

b. Users with older motherboards/systems in particular...need to do the above...and also save any drivers which are downloaded/installed as replacements for the original drivers for system hardware. Primary reason for this...manufacturers are not likely now to maintain drivers on their websites for older boards/systems.

c. There is no reason to "update" a working driver with no indications of problems.

There is no site that I know of that can reliably supply the myriad of drivers which are available for all possible compoents of systems, past and present.

Louis

#3 jayplowtyde

jayplowtyde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2010 - 08:33 AM

thank you. i love it when some pcs have c:\drivers. thats a total godsend. thanks for the input. youd think someone would have set up a database by now, seems like it could rake in money.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2010 - 09:13 AM

Well...there are pay sites...but I'm from the era which believed that a user was entitled to a drivers CD and a Windows CD, if the system was to be useable at all, so I won't be paying anyone for drivers :thumbsup:. I find it very easy to just stick the drivers CD for each board/system...into a small portable CD softcase...and I have them whenever I want them, as long as I have that system/board.

Ditto for Windows CDs and programs which come on CD.

Louis

#5 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 31 July 2010 - 10:16 AM

honestly...
finding a driver on internet is a quite easy and sometimes its very hard...depends on how old is your device...if its very new than its quite hard (if dont know what brand and type of that device)

here are some tips for you....just to find unknown device driver...you may use notepad for easy copy paste string
from device manager (I think you know this)...
click the unknown device (this only an example...but if you do a fresh install you we have this)
click Details tab...you will see a scroll down option and white box that have string...
I usually playing around Device Instance Id and Hardware Ids to find the string that use for identify your hardware for looking the name of it...

first...lets try to play in Device Instance Id
on the white box that I told before...you will see a string on it (it will have a long string sometimes)
click on that string on it...and press Ctrl + C (copy it manually)...paste it on notepad and see if it paste a something...if not try copy it again...
if its paste that string on notepad...open google and paste it on search bar...and see what google give...if doesnt give good idea...lets forget device instandce id...

second...open Hardware Ids...
copy the top (first) string...paste it on notepad...and googling it...

there are some site that can help you find that string...but I just trust this site for find the name...but this only for a old device...the new device usually cannot search from here
http://www.devid.info/en/
just paste that string...and see if it generated something...if it generated the name...please download it from the manufacture websites for safety...something someone upload a nasty thing...

this tips only for finding the name of device from unknown device...

or you could read this...
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-find-u...ndor-device-id/

one website that quite good ids driverguide (I register as free...not pay)

Edited by abauw, 31 July 2010 - 10:21 AM.

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#6 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2010 - 01:18 PM

I use www.driverguide.com
Its free and they have some pretty obscure stuff out there.

I would recommend creating a driver library. I did that a long time ago and it has saved me a lot of work,
In the beginning there was the command line.

#7 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,090 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2010 - 04:07 PM

Here is another one for the "Unknown" device in Device Manager:

If you see:

Manufacturer: Unknown

Check the Details tab and if you see something similar to this example:

PCI\VEN_1039&DEV_0190...

Now you have a VENdor and a DEVice which you can look up using a variety of methods, one of which is:

http://www.pcidatabase.com/

That reveals it is a SiS191 Gigabit LAN & SiS0190 LAN device, so I would look on the SIS WWW page for the latest driver and find all kinds of good information. If I need to give them a hard time about their adapter, I would be happy to do so:

SIS
NO.180, Sec.2, Gongdaowu Rd., Hsin-Chu, Taiwan 300
Rm A202, 1355 Jinjihu Avenue, Suzhou Industrial Pa
Taiwan, Suzhou (China)
http://www.sis.com

You can of course just Google VEN_1039&DEV_0190

Oops: Eyesee beat me to it!

Edited by joseibarra, 31 July 2010 - 04:09 PM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#8 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 31 July 2010 - 04:12 PM

lets hope eyesee would share that database :thumbsup:

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle: