Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Features dialogue box empty

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 dob1

dob1

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 31 July 2010 - 02:32 AM

When I try to turn on Windows features, the dialogue box is completely empty.

I am running Windows 7 Pro 64 on an i7 with 8G RAM.

This happened very soon after my second complete install of Windows 7.

The Microsoft forums have made many suggestions including running sfC /SCANNOW option and a number of other repair and clean suggestions but all to no avail. Has anyone actually fixed this problem without reinstalling the operating system?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 31 July 2010 - 10:34 AM

This might help. Go to Start and type in (windows f) there will be (How to turn windows features on/off)

#3 dob1

dob1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2010 - 10:16 PM

Yes, I can bring up the "Turn Windows features on and off" dialog box by any number of means including this one, but the box itself is absolutely empty. No list, no checkboxes, nothing, just blank! And none of the suggestions anyone has made on the Microsoft support section have mand any difference.

#4 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2010 - 10:08 AM

Do you have a dialog box using any thing else on you computer. I have ran out of ideas but there is one more. Go to a restore point before you had this problem.
Question. Where did you get your copy of Windows 7

#5 dob1

dob1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2010 - 11:56 PM

All other dialogue boxes appear to work fine.
This was a second completely clean install after I had a faulty Hard Disk. I did not save a restore point before this problem turned up. It was one of the first things I did after I installed.
My copy is a current OEM copy of Windows 7

#6 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2010 - 08:15 AM

I have Windows 7 Home Premium 64 and when I right click on Windows features all I get is (open) and then it loads and shows features that are running on your computer and gives you the option of checking and unchecking. If I understand your problem is that you don't get this window of options. Is that correct?

#7 dob1

dob1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2010 - 07:12 PM

That is correct. The window opens, but is completely blank. No check boxes for options, no nothing just a blank white window.

#8 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2010 - 08:20 AM

Good mourning dob1. I have been doing some snooping around and the only thing I have been able to find is from the Windows 7 Forum. http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/5462-windows-features-enable-disable.html I haven't tried this but it is the only thing I been able to find. I have no idea why sfc /scannow doesn't fix this for you. I have Windows 7 Home Premium 64 OEM and all the features load for me. Does Windows updates work on this computer? If you get this problem taken care off please post the repair back here. Where did you buy your copy of Windows? My understanding is if M/S is working with you your copy should be legal.

#9 dob1

dob1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2010 - 04:17 AM

Thank you for this. It didn't solve the problem but it points me back to the group policy area. The SFC.log shows a number of files it could not repair and I'm told they are group policy files. In the next couple of days I will extract the half dozen files from the original CD and replace them. I'm hoping this might help. I'll post the result of this when I get to it.

#10 dob1

dob1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2010 - 08:33 PM

No luck! I have done everything everybody has suggested and still have an empty "Turn Windows Features on and off" dialog box. I have replaced the files missing as reported in CBS.log after running SFC /scannow, and they are still reported as missing even though they are there and straight off the installation disk. I have done various other things all to no avail. Microsoft doesn't appear to have a clue on this one, it's been around since Vista and is still being repeated in Windows 7! So I guess I'm back to yet another complete reinstall.

#11 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2010 - 08:40 AM

Good mourning dob1. Sorry your still having problems. I see you have been doing a lot of research and found that Vista had this problem. Did they ever get it fixed in Vista because the same cure might work in W7. With all those things you did was one of them updating Windows 7 using Microsoft site? I really don't know why system file checker didn't fix this problem. Some times where you buy your windows c/d from maters. I would make sure serves are set to default. After a fresh install they should be. If Microsoft has worked with you they checked your copy to be legal. That's the way I understand it to work. My brain is giving way. Windows does have a site that might help, (click it fix it) http://fixitcenter.support.microsoft.com/Portal

#12 dob1

dob1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2010 - 08:48 PM

The main 'fixitcenter' appears to have been for the beta testing program and it says it's now closed. Everything on the CD is legit, it's an OEM version. I am trying a complete and fresh reinstall.

#13 dob1

dob1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2010 - 04:19 AM

Well a complete reinstall has successfully restored the Windows Features Dialog box and I've been able to activate the features I wanted, so I won't continue this thread. It is very disappointing though that such a simple thing could not be fixed without wiping all my installed programs!

#14 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2010 - 05:13 AM

I'm happy you got it fixed. I have no idea why a complete install was needed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users