Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Freezes Shortly after Start Up but Works Fine in Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Generalkyle

Generalkyle

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 31 July 2010 - 02:21 AM

Hello all, I have a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop that uses Windows Vista Home Basic that freezes shortly after I turn it on and log in. I can still move the cursor, but I can't click anything or type anything. It works fine in Safe Mode. I am in Safe Mode with Networking right now. I am suspecting that it is something to do with the drivers since it works fine in Safe Mode. For my first troubleshooting method, I would like to disable all Startup items I possibly can in System Configuration. The problem is that I don't know what I can disable and what I cannot. I don't want to mess anything up.

The origin of the problem: One night I was playing a computer game, not in a web browser, just on the computer, then I went to bed. I didn't turn off the computer, I just shut the top. About 5 minutes later, I heard the Windows start-up music. I thought to myself "What the...?" I opened the top and it said something like, "Windows had to restart due to an error." I click OK and proceeded. After about maybe a minute, it froze and I had to shut it off manually by holding down the power button. Now every time I turn it on and log on, after about a minute, it freezes. I can still move the cursor, but can't click or type anything.

If disabling everything in the StartUp tab of System Configuration doesn't fix the issue, I would like to disable all the items that I possibly can in the Services tab.

Here is a list of all the items that I have in the StartUp tab of System Configuration. If someone could direct me as to what I may disable and I can't, that would be great! :huh:

Windows Defender
Alps Pointing-device Driver
IDT PC Audio
Dell Wireless WLAN Wireless Network Tray Applet
Quickset
RAID Event Monitor
Catalyst Control Center
DataSafeOnline
Default Manager
Cyberlink PowerDVD
Dell Support Center Updates
GrooveMonitor Utility
AVG Internet Security
Adobe Acrobat
Adobe Reader and Acrobat Manager
hpwuSchd Application
QuickTime
Microsoft Windows Operating System
Windows Live Messenger
RoboForm
DellDock
HP Digital Imaging

I can provide additional information about the above items, such as the item's manufacturer, and it's location.

Any help regarding how to fix my freezing issue is greatly appreciated!! Thank you in advance!

Edited by Generalkyle, 31 July 2010 - 10:52 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zbd

zbd

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2010 - 09:19 AM

The only items required in startup are your antivirus, firewall and windows defender. All others can be started when needed.

#3 Generalkyle

Generalkyle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2010 - 10:57 AM

The anti-viruses and protecting programs are required to boot up the computer? I don't think so...

And what about the Windows Microsoft Operating System? Wouldn't that be Windows Vista? I can't disable that, can I?

Edited by Generalkyle, 31 July 2010 - 01:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users