Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Turning internal HD into external HD

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 simpsonman3000

simpsonman3000

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 31 July 2010 - 01:39 AM

I don't know exactly if this belongs here, but I think a mod can move it if it doesn't I guess.

I'll explain my situation.

I was looking into upgrading my laptop's hard drive from 320 GB hard drive to around 1 TB. I found out that these laptop hard drives cost upwards of $130-150, so I decided to look elsewhere.

I currently have a 160 GB Western Digital external hard drive, but it isn't enough space for me. I decided to look on Amazon.

There, I found many "cheap" 1 TB desktop hard drives for sale. I will post them and their specs below:

1. $65 1 TB Western Digital Intellipower Caviar Green: 3.5 inch, 5400 RPM motor, 64 MB cache, Bulk/OEM Drive

2. $80 1.5 TB Seagate Barracuda: 7200 RPM motor, 3 Gb/s, 32 MB cache, Bare Drive I know it's 500 GB of extra space for $15, but I am wary of the reviews. The second most reviewers give it a 1 star rating. And what does it mean to be a "Bare Bones" drive?

3. $90 1.5 TB Western Digital Intellipower Caviar Green: Same specs as the 1st hard drive

My question is: Is it a smart idea to turn a desktop Hard Drive into an External Drive and, if so, which hard drive would be best to do it? Also, if anyone has any suggestions on where to get a hard drive enclosure/best brands, that would be helpful as well. I was thinking of just Amazon or Newegg or somewhere like that.

Thanks

Edited by simpsonman3000, 31 July 2010 - 06:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 31 July 2010 - 02:25 AM

actually, its relatively simple to do. You can buy an enclosure of your choice that can hook up to your laptop via firewire, USB, or esata, or all 3, and range anywhere from like $25 on up (plus hard drive) I have an old IDE enclosure laying around somewhere that Im not even using lol. Newegg has a large assortment of them take a look http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....e+enclosure+3.5

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,735 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 31 July 2010 - 09:34 AM

IMO...there is no "best' hard drive.

As for external hard drives...if you have a laptop, that's probably the way to go. If you have a desktop, I'd dispense with the external because (IMO) it only adds 1 more component into the equation of "possible system problems" (the enclosure, powering the enclosure/drive) to troubleshoot.

Although I have a 1TB drive...I'm not likely buy any larger than 500GB in the future. I prefer separate hard drives, as opposed to separate partitions on a humongous hard drive.

Between the different hard drive manufacturers today...IMO, the risk of drive failure is the same. Others have differing opinions, just as some of us prefer AMD to Intel, etc.

Newegg would be my vendor of choice for an enclosure.

Louis

#4 simpsonman3000

simpsonman3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2010 - 01:17 PM

As for external hard drives...if you have a laptop, that's probably the way to go. If you have a desktop, I'd dispense with the external because (IMO) it only adds 1 more component into the equation of "possible system problems" (the enclosure, powering the enclosure/drive) to troubleshoot.

Yeah, I have a laptop, that's why I'm going external. If I had a desktop, I would just put one of the hard drives in my OP straight into it. Internal laptop hard drives are just too expensive.

Although I have a 1TB drive...I'm not likely buy any larger than 500GB in the future. I prefer separate hard drives, as opposed to separate partitions on a humongous hard drive.

I understand that. For me it's a little different I guess, because this will simply be my data drive (movies, photos, music, etc). No actual hard drive partitions (ie. if I needed 2 OS's) will be on it.

Between the different hard drive manufacturers today...IMO, the risk of drive failure is the same. Others have differing opinions, just as some of us prefer AMD to Intel, etc.

I have heard that straight out-of-the-box external drives are more prone to failure than internal drives and, by default, putting an internal drive into an enclosure. The latter option is cheaper, too.

Newegg would be my vendor of choice for an enclosure.

Yeah I'll probably go there
___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks for your opinions guys. Anyone else have any help? I guess my main concern is between not only the models of hard drive (Western Digital vs. Seagate Barracuda) but the specs of each... as you can see the Barracuda is a lot faster RPM-wise, but has half of the cache, and has 500 GB more storage.

Will a 3.5 inch turned into an external drive by huge, or small, or about the same size compared to a typical external hard drive?

Edited by simpsonman3000, 31 July 2010 - 01:18 PM.

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2010 - 01:28 PM

that all depends on the size enclosure you are using. The one I have is fairly small, however some of them get quite big, there are even some where you can put 4 hard drives in and it automatically raids them, so the size, depends on the enclosure really and your personal preferences.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#6 simpsonman3000

simpsonman3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2010 - 02:22 PM

i just heard from someone that the seagate barracuda drive is awful.

right now i have to either choose one of those or go with a traditional external hard drive

#7 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 31 July 2010 - 05:12 PM

#1 and #3 would be ideal, pick whichever drive suits your storage needs.

IMO if you are going external you would be better off with a Samsung. They run cooler and quieter than any other drive.

#8 simpsonman3000

simpsonman3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2010 - 06:54 PM

whoa whoa whoa hold the phone!

Newegg: $75 1.5 TB Western Digital Caviar Green

$15 less than on Amazon!

#9 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2010 - 07:02 PM

For the record, I tend to go with western digital drives. As far as it goes, Ive used several different brands of hard drives, including seagate, and never had a problem with any of them, but I tend to always default to WD. I can't really explain why, but I've always kinda had a liking for them.

picard5.jpg

#10 simpsonman3000

simpsonman3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2010 - 02:00 AM

For the record, I tend to go with western digital drives.

well looks like i'm gonna go with western digital since i can get a 1.5 TERABYTE hard drive for only $75. any advice on a specific enclosure from newegg?

#11 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2010 - 07:54 AM

well looks like i'm gonna go with western digital since i can get a 1.5 TERABYTE hard drive for only $75. any advice on a specific enclosure from newegg?

For external you generally want to go cooler, and Samsung drives will beat Western Digital any day of the week in that area. But you should be fine if that is the price you want.

Regarding enclosures, don't go cheap. Cheap enclosures generally have crap controllers and circuit boards. You could fry your drive or even corrupt data. I highly recommend the Macally G-S350SU. I have two of them. Very solid aluminum construction, reliable circuit board and controller, very easy to install, front and rear vents to keep the drive cool and convenient front power button. It also features USB 2.0 or eSATA.

http://www.amazon.com/Macally-G-S350SU-Hi-.../dp/B0013LRLUM/

Trust me, it is well worth it.

Edited by JonM33, 01 August 2010 - 07:54 AM.

#12 simpsonman3000

simpsonman3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2010 - 12:20 PM

For external you generally want to go cooler, and Samsung drives will beat Western Digital any day of the week in that area. But you should be fine if that is the price you want.

Well it won't be a 24/7 hard drive. It will probably be turned on about an hour every week to transfer data. Unless I'm watching something off of it. Doesn't the 5400 RPM motor keep cool enough, as opposed to a 7200 RPM Seagate?

Regarding enclosures, don't go cheap. Cheap enclosures generally have crap controllers and circuit boards. You could fry your drive or even corrupt data. I highly recommend the Macally G-S350SU.

http://www.amazon.com/Macally-G-S350SU-Hi-.../dp/B0013LRLUM/

Trust me, it is well worth it.

alright i might get that one. I was looking into a $20-30 one anyway. i'll probably just stick with USB 2.0 because that is the universal.

now, are there any enclosures that will give me a true portable, USB-only power, or will they all be power plug only?

here's an enclosure I found on Newegg. Can anyone give me word if this are good or not?

Rosewill RX35-AT-SU BLK Aluminum 3.5" Black USB 2.0 External Enclosure

I think it will either be this one or the one JonM33 recommended.

Thanks for your help everyone

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,735 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 01 August 2010 - 12:45 PM

I would want an enclosure that is powered, has an on/off switch...and has a fan to disperse heat from the drive/enclosure.

Louis

#14 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2010 - 01:14 PM

Well it won't be a 24/7 hard drive. It will probably be turned on about an hour every week to transfer data. Unless I'm watching something off of it. Doesn't the 5400 RPM motor keep cool enough, as opposed to a 7200 RPM Seagate?

Yes, 5400RPM will run cooler than 7200RPM. Not sure how much cooler WD 5400 RPM drives are but I know Seagates run scalding hot. The last WD drive I had experience with (in my daughter's PC) ran several degrees cooler than the Seagate.

alright i might get that one. I was looking into a $20-30 one anyway. i'll probably just stick with USB 2.0 because that is the universal.

now, are there any enclosures that will give me a true portable, USB-only power, or will they all be power plug only?

here's an enclosure I found on Newegg. Can anyone give me word if this are good or not?

Rosewill is NewEgg's house brand hardware. NewEgg is a great company with solid support. I'd think it would be a good value.

No, you won't find any 3.5-inch enclosure that is USB 2.0 powered. Drives that large require more power than USB 2.0 can provide.

Edited by JonM33, 01 August 2010 - 01:14 PM.

#15 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2010 - 04:40 PM

my WD drive runs plenty cool, especially if you go with the green models, never had a hard drive overheat on me. Im not well versed in enclosures, but the reviews will give you a good indicator of whats good and bad about each indicidual enclosure.

picard5.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users