Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fresh Install WinXP OEM on new hard drive - Can you still switch back to the old one?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ossilix

ossilix

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 31 July 2010 - 12:14 AM

Hi,

I'm considering trying to clone my current hard drive to a new drive so I can replace it without having to install Windows XP again (I posted about that here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic335750.html).

I read it's possible to clone the old hard drive to a new one (using something like Easeus Todo or Easeus Disk Copy), then just unplug the old drive, plug the new one in and it should work like nothing has changed. Also I read that afterward, you can switch back and forth between the old and new drives without any problems. Is that correct?

Seondly, in the event that I can't clone my drive successfully and get the system to boot off of the new drive, the second course of action I was thinking was to do a fresh installation of Windows XP. I have Windows XP Home with SP1, and the disk that came with my comptuer is an OEM disk "only for distribution with a new PC". I was told I would be able to activate a new installation of Windows using the same Product Key on this computer even if I change the hard drive, just as long as I don't change the motherboard.

My main question is, if I do this and get a fresh installation of WinXP activated successfully on the new drive, would I still be able to switch back and boot from the old hard dirve if I needed to? Or would activating a fresh install of WinXP on a new hard drive deactivate the installation on the old drive?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 31 July 2010 - 12:31 AM

This is a real curley one, (meaning difficult)

I have never been able to successfully Clone XP, but can give you some Guidence for reinstalling XP from the OEM Disk that should work for you. If you haven't made any changes, except for the HDD you should be able to Boot from either one, just by converting the other HDD from a Slave to Master and converting the Master to Slave, but you don't really need to do that? You can interchange Data from either one to the other, if the two are set up as Master and Slave?

Is that what you want?

Ray
What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#3 ossilix

ossilix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2010 - 01:12 AM

I have never been able to successfully Clone XP

Really? :flowers: I haven't read anything that said it might be difficult to do... What happened when you tried?

but can give you some Guidence for reinstalling XP from the OEM Disk that should work for you.

Thank you!!!

If you haven't made any changes, except for the HDD you should be able to Boot from either one, just by converting the other HDD from a Slave to Master and converting the Master to Slave, but you don't really need to do that? You can interchange Data from either one to the other, if the two are set up as Master and Slave?

Actually I don't have a new drive yet--I'm trying to figure out what the best course of action would be first. The diagnostic said my current 5-year-old primary hard drive has some errors, so I'm kind of itching to replace it (can't afford to replace the whole computer) before something goes terribly wrong. But the drive I'm looking at is 500gb, and my mobo being 8-9 years old (with no updates available) most likely only supports up to 137gb, so at the same time I'm trying to find out if it's possible to install Windows XP on a partition less than 137gb to avoid data loss or corruption from BIOS not being able to access anything above the 137gb. Many people say it will work, a few say it has worked for them, some others say it will eventually fail, so I don't know.... (Of course Microsoft specifically says to do this for Windows 2000, but doesn't say anything about it for XP.)

As for the hard drives, I wasn't going to have both installed at the same time. That's beyond my capabilities right now, plus I don't have any jumper shunts so I can't actually do it anyway. Basically my plan as of now was to put the new drive in an external USB enclosure, hook it up and clone the C: drive to it, then open up the case, take the plugs from the current drive and plug them into the new one, turn it on, then try not to pass out from terror waiting for the Windows XP screen to show up. :thumbsup: If that doesn't work, maybe try one more time, then try a fresh XP install (again on a <137gb partition). But with the fresh install, I'm afraid I'll never get all my hardware/software working again because I know nothing about this stuff (knew nothing about hard drives, BIOS, "masters" and "slaves" and "shunts" and motherboards and all that until three days ago, so I don't trust myself very much...)

Anyway, in the event that the new hard drive doesn't work out (either immediately or somewhere down the line), I really want to be able to hook the old drive back up as a lifeline and a least be back to where I am right now. I found lots of info saying this would work when cloning the original drive, but nothing about a fresh install on a new drive.

I just don't want to do anything irrevocable and be stuck with no computer. :trumpet:

#4 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2010 - 01:30 AM

OK, just relax?

We can Help you, just a matter of which way?

Help is coming.

Ray.

Edited by Drovers Dog, 31 July 2010 - 01:31 AM.

What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#5 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2010 - 10:50 AM

You could try Burning your Data onto DVDs? That is quite Normal procedure.

Then you have Back Up of it?

Ray.

What is a Dog?

#6 ossilix

ossilix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2010 - 03:43 PM

OK, just relax?

We can Help you, just a matter of which way?

Help is coming.

Thank you.... lol I am trying to relax, it's just difficult when some people tell you your hard drive is going to croak in two days or something :thumbsup: or that using a hard drive larger than the BIOS will support will cause your computer to explode or whatever. (Exaggerating but you know what I mean)

Also I forgot to mention, data loss isn't the main thing I'm worried about. I already have a 500gb external drive with my important data backed up, as well as a second external 80gb hard drive (which was the one this computer came with in 2002 so it's probably worse than the one I'm worrying about) that I use to double-backup really important things (and its unique content is also backed up on the 500gb drive). Then I also back up extremely important stuff to DVDs, and to another family member's external drive. If I didn't have all these backups I would definitely be in super panic mode right now (learned that lesson already).

My main concerns are just having a fallback plan so I can go back to the current drive without repercussions if the new drive doesn't work out for some reason, and making sure that I'm not doing anything that will permanently damage the computer. (I'm not thinking about the whole Electrostatic Discharge issue right now, although I do have a wrist strap.)

I do apologize for being spastic, I'm just freaked out a bit :flowers:

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2010 - 04:22 PM

<<My main concerns are just having a fallback plan so I can go back to the current drive without repercussions if the new drive doesn't work out for some reason>>

There is nothing that says that things don't go wrong...in the history of this universe.

Cloning the hard drive...is about as "safe" as you are going to get. You can do that any number of times, on as many hard drives as you like...that does not mean that they will work when called upon.

Ditto for backup software.

Any user of Windows...ought to be prepared to clean install it...at all times, IMO.

As for switching back and forth between bootable O/Ses...that depends...it can be done.

Louis

#8 ossilix

ossilix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2010 - 06:42 PM

There is nothing that says that things don't go wrong...in the history of this universe.

That's true, but it doesn't necessarily hurt to take as many precautions as possible before you try something, and to have a backup plan in case it doesn't work out.

Cloning the hard drive...is about as "safe" as you are going to get. You can do that any number of times, on as many hard drives as you like...that does not mean that they will work when called upon.

I'm not sure what you mean about "when called upon", are you talking about the chance that if the clone was successful, the computer still might not be able to boot off of the new disk the first time you try it? That's why I want to be sure I can switch back to the old drive if I need to so I can try something else.

Any user of Windows...ought to be prepared to clean install it...at all times, IMO.

I do have my Windows disk and I believe all of the important driver discs for the hardware my computer came with. So I probably can manage the clean install if I absolutely have to, I've just never done it before so it's scary.

As for switching back and forth between bootable O/Ses...that depends...it can be done.

I know, it's more tricky when you have an OEM disc that only activates on a single computer and can only be installed on it once at a time.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2010 - 07:13 PM

<<I'm not sure what you mean about "when called upon...>>

I don't take the proper functioning of anything man-made...for granted.

Louis

#10 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 31 July 2010 - 08:41 PM

I know, it's more tricky when you have an OEM disc that only activates on a single computer and can only be installed on it once at a time.

wrong idea...or something that must say...but its totally wrong :flowers:
OEM DISC is not installed once at a time...
OEM disc is for installed on one computer....

I do have my Windows disk and I believe all of the important driver discs for the hardware my computer came with. So I probably can manage the clean install if I absolutely have to, I've just never done it before so it's scary.

have you check your windows disk...does all of your driver really came with???

I'm not sure what you mean about "when called upon", are you talking about the chance that if the clone was successful, the computer still might not be able to boot off of the new disk the first time you try it? That's why I want to be sure I can switch back to the old drive if I need to so I can try something else.

please read manual book of and FAQ of thats clone software...

That's true, but it doesn't necessarily hurt to take as many precautions as possible before you try something, and to have a backup plan in case it doesn't work out.

horray...
back up plan :thumbsup:
please read some manual book and FAQS before you decide to throwing something to trash...

the idea to clone a something is a very good idea...but on reality its very hard to do...
there will something that will not 100% be clone...and becauce of that I dont want use clone software anymore...Its better to install it manually for a couple hours rather than must fix it for a couple of days...

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#11 bkribbs

bkribbs

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 31 July 2010 - 09:59 PM

It looks like you are covered, but fyi, I have cloned mine perfectly before.

#12 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2010 - 12:47 AM

As I said earlier, "This is a curly one, (difficult).

Some things are better not said Online, in the Public Arena. I did send you a PM to explain it and I hope you do understand?

Firstly let's discuss your New HDD?

Whatever your BIOS acceptes as an external HDD will be accepted, in most cases, as normal. That leaves you choices?

For example? I have a 200G HDD on this Machine split into 5 Partitions, roughly 40G each, XP works really well with 40G if you back up to the other Partitions. If I ever need to reinstall, not a Problem, just save current things into a File on the other Partitions, reinstall XP and then bring that Data back later.

Happy to Help you through on setting up those Partitions on Reinstall.

Ray.

What is a Dog?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users