Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop is slow to startup and shutdown

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Mieng

Mieng

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 30 July 2010 - 09:56 PM

BC has helped me fix other people's computers several time, now I need some help with my own work laptop.

First let me describe the symtoms that I am seeing.
Laptop seems to boot slower and slower from one day to the next.
When closing applications to shut the machine down at the end of the work day, I'll close IE7 or Outlook and it will take nearly 4-5 minutes for the machine to become responsive enough to be able to click "Start-->Shut Down". Also the desktop icons will be blank during this time span..
In the last 3-4 days, IE7 will close on its own when I am trying to use it.

Operation system is Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 3

Would appreciate any help you could provide.

Edited by Mieng, 30 July 2010 - 10:06 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mieng

Mieng
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 03 August 2010 - 11:35 PM

Ok, it has been several days and I've not received any responses to help with my issue. I ran MalwareBytes on my own and it found 5 infected items and it appears to have removed them, but the laptop is still extremely slow in starting up and shutting down. I would still like to have one of the Bleeping Computer experts walk me through some checks to make sure that I don't have a infection that is causing my issue. Judging from the large amount of traffic on this forum, maybe you guys are just too busy right now or maybe you're not sensing my uneasiness about this issue. I just have a strange feeling that malware or a key logger may be the root cause of my symtoms.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users