Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recurring Trojans and continuous BSOD, please help

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 String222B

String222B

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 30 July 2010 - 06:46 PM

Hi everyone. Been very impressed with the info on this site but unfortunately I'm out of my depth so I'm hoping someone would be good enough to help me.

My PC (AMD Phenom, Vista 32bit) has been getting a touch unreliable over the last few weeks with the BSOD's but the last week it's really gone downhill.

Running AVG 9.0 (Free) and Ad Aware Free found various Trojans, usually in the Temp folder as an infected file with a name along the lines of ctv972.exe. The Trojan's themselves are usually called some variation of cryptic.arm.

I am also currently running Malwarebytes anti Malware

They seem to get successfully removed only to come back soon after, sometimes even after 1 restart. I should add that there had been the occasional error message with AVG.

As for the BSOD, I ran BlueScreenView (I hope that wasn't the wrong thing to do in this process) and there are a few recurring things coming up. They are:

ntkrnlpa.exe
hal.dll
win32k.sys
tdx.sys
afd.sys
USBPORT.sys

Windows own 'problem identification' software also reports windows crashing being caused by the following:

Mini073010-08.dmp
sysdata.xml
version.txt

Sorry if that's very long winded and perhaps some of it is irrelevant information to the problem but I thought I'd post all I know. I rarely get trouble with viruses etc but this looks to be a bad one from somewhere.

Any help and advice is greatly appreciated.

Quick edit to say Malware found a Trojan.dropper and removed it. Since then the BSOD does reoccur occasionally and I've noticed a lot more adverts on web pages despite having Adblock still installed

Edited by String222B, 31 July 2010 - 04:09 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users