Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems with my router PLEASE HELP

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 joeyjumanji

joeyjumanji

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 30 July 2010 - 05:05 PM

so I just got my router in the mail today, and I for the life of me, can't get the xbox 360 to connect to the internet at the same time as my computer.
everytime I try connecting my xbox to it, it says "there is an ip address conflict with another system on the network"
I tried going to my routers homepage but that doesnt let me connect.
I can't access my router page unless I connect my internet cord directly to the router. but then I can't access the internet.
you understand?

does it have something to do with me having a dynamic IP?
I am highly confused.

Edited by hamluis, 02 August 2010 - 06:23 PM.
Moved from External Hardware to Networking forum ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 30 July 2010 - 08:13 PM

Your router is designed to give out a different IP address for each component, unless you have assigned the computer and/or XBox a static IP address.

What kind of router is it? Brand and Model would help.

If you can post any screen shots of the config pages within the router, that would also be a big help.

DR

#3 joeyjumanji

joeyjumanji
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 30 July 2010 - 11:46 PM

Your router is designed to give out a different IP address for each component, unless you have assigned the computer and/or XBox a static IP address.

What kind of router is it? Brand and Model would help.

If you can post any screen shots of the config pages within the router, that would also be a big help.

DR

it's a linksys wired router model no.# BEFSR41

my setup is that I have my computer connected via ethernet cable to the router, and the internet modem is connected to the router also, this allows the internet to work on my computer, but when I I connect my xbox to the router the "IP conflict" message pops up.

it will let me connect to the xbox if I connect that first, but then it won't let me connect to the internet via the computer.

when I try accessing the config page for the router when I am connected to the internet it won't let me.
if I connect the internet line[dsl] directly to the router then it will allow me to access the setup page, but it won't let me access the actual internet
:/

#4 Surma

Surma

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 31 July 2010 - 05:20 AM

Look around xbox.com, check their support faq and see if you find anything there. I think that somewhere there is a list of which routers that are tested to be compatible with the 360. You could also make sure that all settings everywhere are set to automatic (there should be some for ip and such on the xbox).
---My computer---
Manufacturer:HP Pavilion 061 CPU:Intel Pentium 4 640, 3200 MHz (16 x 200) RAM: 1024MB Motherboard:Asus PTGD1-LA Chipset:Intel Grantsdale i915P HDD:Main256GB Ext512GB Video:Radeon X600 Series Internet:DSL 2mb/s OS:Windows XP Home Edition SP3 Firefox+IExplorer AVG Internet Security

#5 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2010 - 06:36 AM

my setup is that I have my computer connected via ethernet cable to the router, and the internet modem is connected to the router also, this allows the internet to work on my computer, but when I I connect my xbox to the router the "IP conflict" message pops up.

You did not say which inputs you are using. I believe that router has 5 ports in the back. There is one specifically marked "internet" and that is the one the dsl modem should be connected to. That will allow the router to obtain an ip address from the modem.

The computer as well as the XBox should be plugged into any of the other 4 ports. Those two should be receiving their IP addresses from the router.

Try this link:

http://www.portforward.com/

Select your router model, then continue past the next advertising page (click in upper right to skip the ad).

The next page should give you a selection of applications. I saw a BUNCH of XBox entries.

Find your application and then the next page should show you how to configure the router internally.

If you cannot access the config page of the router, either you have one of the components (possibly the modem) plugged into the wrong port or the router is bad.

I hope this helps.

DR

#6 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2010 - 05:17 PM

so I just got my router in the mail today, and I for the life of me, can't get the xbox 360 to connect to the internet at the same time as my computer.
everytime I try connecting my xbox to it, it says "there is an ip address conflict with another system on the network"
I can't access my router page unless I connect my internet cord directly to the router. but then I can't access the internet.
you understand?

I am highly confused.

This question was asked in the wrong forum. It should be asked here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/21/networking/

#7 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 05 August 2010 - 08:11 AM

you understand?

I am highly confused.

An ip conflict is where your xbox is trying to use an ip address which is already in use by another computer.

Set your router to obtain an ip address automatically.

Set the xbox to do the same.

Set your computer to do the same on your ethernet connection or wireless connection or both depending how your connecting.
Go network connections or connect to windows xp or network and sharing centre>change adapter settings> right click local area connection(ethernet) or /and wireless network connection>properties>internet protocol version 4(TCIP4) ensure obtain an ip address automatically is selected and obtain and dns server address is selected click apply and ok.

I assume by dynamic ip address you mean this is assigned by isp which is your public ip address and will change periodically by your isp and is the address that is viewed from internet.
The 192 address is your internal address assigned by your router and doesn't affect or be affected by public ip.

Edited by Darth sidious, 05 August 2010 - 08:16 AM.

HP Compaq 6715b Notebook--AMD Turionx2 2.2Ghz 64 Mobile TL-64--4GB DDR2 667Mhz--Compaq 6715b--fujitsu siemens 500GB sataII Internal, Toshiba 1TB EXT HD Backup--IGP ATI Radeon x1250 128MB--Broadcom a\b\g Wlan adapter built in, Sonicwall TZ100, Dlink DSL 2740b--Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and linux ubuntu dual boot--Firefox 4.0 &IE8--Eset Firewall--Nod32 antivirus & Spyware Doctor--Malwarebytes anti malware.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users