Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which laptop?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 sabaithaime

sabaithaime

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 30 July 2010 - 03:39 PM

I am looking to buy my first laptop and would appreciate some advice. It seems like there are so many factors to consider I have confused myself.

My major considerations are these:

1) Manufacture reliability and build quality

2) Where to buy from

3) After sales service and support: I don’t mind paying extra for ongoing support if necessary, if I have a software or hardware problem I would want it sorted or fixed as quickly as possible and with the minimum of fuss. I think this is probably my number 1 criterion along with buying reliability in the first place.

4) I wont be gaming but I would like to be able to watch DVD’s

5) I won’t be doing much with music either so as long as the sound is good enough to watch DVDs and maybe catch some AC DC on You-tube that would be cool.

6) I would like to be able to burn CD's and DVD's if possible

7) An optical drive without a sliding tray would be nice

8) I like the look of the corei5 processor, it’s supposed to be the best value in the (i) range although I am wondering if dual core would be enough for my needs. At the moment I am using an old desktop with Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.80GHz and 512 MB ram.

9) I would want a matte screen as opposed to a reflective.

The main things I will be doing on my computer include:

• Browsing the net and managing my business website. I am running a sport psychology coaching business now and will be selling e Books and mp3 downloads before long

• Word processing
• Desk top publishing
• Email

If you could help point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

PS. I live in the UK

Regards

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 30 July 2010 - 09:01 PM

Reliability before you buy can usually be determined by reading reviews or googling information for a particular model.

I would purchase from Best Buy or a local store. It is sometimes easier to get problems resolved when it is a store you can return to easily. New Egg or Tiger Direct can have great prices but I use them strictly for reviews when I purchase a large component.

You might want to purchase a service plan to take care of any other service issues.

Most laptops come with a DVD player/burner. They call them Multi-Drives as well.

An optical drive without a sliding tray? not sure I have even seen a laptop like that.

An Intel Duo-Core or an AMD as well would certainly be enough, considering what you want to do. 64-bit is also a consideration, but make sure the laptop can use 4 or 6 GB of RAM. Maximum for 32-bit is about 3.25 GB.

Matte screens are available but most will come with a Glossy screen.

Your best bet, if you can't find it exactly as you want, would be to configure your own on the HP or dell site (I would go HP before Dell but that is strictly personal)

I hope this helps.

DR

#3 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 30 July 2010 - 09:28 PM

Ok, some quick answers for now:

1) Manufacture reliability and build quality
As stated above, reading reviews and of course, checking out some options in person.
Nothing like getting up close and personal.

2) Where to buy from
Look at deals being offered online and offline.

3) After sales service and support: I don’t mind paying extra for ongoing support if necessary, if I have a software or hardware problem I would want it sorted or fixed as quickly as possible and with the minimum of fuss. I think this is probably my number 1 criterion along with buying reliability in the first place.
Varies across different regions.
Dell's A.S.S is a worth a mention though.

4) I wont be gaming but I would like to be able to watch DVD’s

Most laptops will handle this with ease.
Be sure to get one with a 720p/1080 display.

5) I won’t be doing much with music either so as long as the sound is good enough to watch DVDs and maybe catch some AC DC on You-tube that would be cool.
Easy-peasy!

6) I would like to be able to burn CD's and DVD's if possible
A DVD ReWriter is standard these days.

7) An optical drive without a sliding tray would be nice
Most new models feature a slot based drive. simply slide the disc in.

8) I like the look of the corei5 processor, it’s supposed to be the best value in the (i) range although I am wondering if dual core would be enough for my needs. At the moment I am using an old desktop with Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.80GHz and 512 MB ram.
Core i5 is all you need! i5 4xx or 5xx series...

9) I would want a matte screen as opposed to a reflective.
This helps in reducing the number of options to be considered, as most come with a glossy finish.

Feel free to post any questions or concerns you might have.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 30 July 2010 - 09:28 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#4 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2010 - 06:42 AM

Ah of course, the slot for the DVD player. My laptop is a couple of years old. and still has the sliding tray.

Question for ReviverSoft:

What happens if the DVD gets stuck in the slot-type? With the slide tray you always had the little hole to poke a paper clip into, to release the tray. My experience with the slots has been that you need to monkey with the eject button. My brother had one stuck in his and I was able to eject it by rapidly pushing the eject button 5 or 6 times (maybe 10 or 12?) before it finally popped out.

DR

#5 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2010 - 05:52 PM

My experience with the slots has been that you need to monkey with the eject button. My brother had one stuck in his and I was able to eject it by rapidly pushing the eject button 5 or 6 times (maybe 10 or 12?) before it finally popped out.
That's pretty much it.
In most cases, a single tap on the 'eject' key should do.

There are 'other' ways of getting the disc out, if all else fails.
:blink:

Edited by ReviverSoft, 31 July 2010 - 05:54 PM.

#6 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2010 - 05:35 AM

Those are the methods I would be most interested to hear about. It is always the "odd situation" that baffles some people.

I know you can also right-click on the drive and select "eject" but are there more ways, when you have something really stuck?

I save the "multiple taps" for those times when the single tap does not work...

DR

#7 davidanders

davidanders

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2010 - 11:47 AM

Though more expensive, Mac Laptops get the highest ratings in reliability, support and service.
They run Windows also in a variety of options.
http://reviews.cnet.com/best-laptops/
Apple - Sony - Toshiba would be my top three choices.
I work on Macs, and Windows laptops.
HP - Compaq - Dell - Acer would be also rans in my ratings
David Anders
The Computer Guy, Seattle
My Allexperts Stats

#8 boethe

boethe

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 01 August 2010 - 12:29 PM

My wife has been really happy with her Sony laptop, no problems but it receives fairly light usage.

I have headaches with my HP work laptop but it is used extremely hard. They don't last long but my work simply switches my harddrive into a new shell when I have problems and send back the broken laptop. It is usually a problem with the display; it seems to be hard on the video card and display to be on and off the docking station and opening and closing all the time. It gets to where it cannot figure out its state properly.

#9 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2010 - 06:33 PM

Those are the methods I would be most interested to hear about. It is always the "odd situation" that baffles some people.
I was referring to the 'crude' alternatives, like for instance, using tweezers to take out the disc. :blink:

#10 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2018 - 07:31 AM

I would avoid a slot drive, I have only looked at a couple but thought what a bioch it might to fix.  A slider can be changed out pretty fast plus giving you the option of a second HD/SSD in its place.  I have separate LG Slim read/write drive comes in very handy for many tasks

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#11 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,349 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2018 - 07:22 PM

I would avoid a slot drive, I have only looked at a couple but thought what a bioch it might to fix.  A slider can be changed out pretty fast plus giving you the option of a second HD/SSD in its place.  I have separate LG Slim read/write drive comes in very handy for many tasks

Hello Phil,

You may want to check the last post of a thread before you reply. The last post in this thread was 7 years ago. 

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#12 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2018 - 07:32 PM

These 77 year old eyes do not see everything, curious how the post ended up being on top when it was so stale???????  My thoughts on slot drives still well made.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#13 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,843 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2018 - 09:47 PM

It ended up "bubbling to the top" because a spammer did what spammers frequently do:  resurrect an ancient thread by appending their spam to the end of it.

Old Phil posted shortly after the spam post.  I removed the spam shortly after Old Phil posted.

All members (including myself) would do well to look at the date time stamps on the last couple of posts on a thread before replying.  This is a standard MO of spammers and well-meaning folks frequently respond to the original queries without noticing those are years old.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users