Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gaming Computer

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TheoSqua

TheoSqua

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 30 July 2010 - 02:00 PM

I'm in the market for building a cheap-ish gaming computer. I have a monitor and keyboard and everything, so it'll just be the tower. I'm trying to budget about $500 w/o the OS.

I've built all my past desktops, I just haven't bothered to do anything with hardware for the last 6 years or so, and the market has changed a good bit since then.

I generally like to go AMD / Nvidia (yeah, i'm weird), and MSI has always been the brand i've bought. I'm not unwilling to go with different brands if there's a significant price difference, but that's kind of what i'm looking for. My sole goal is to have StarCraft II (and eventually Civ V) run on a 1080p tv/computer hybrid that I have.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWi...Number=14188292 is the wishlist i put together just flipping through NewEgg. I'm not sure if it's a good build or not. Any opinions or suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DevonSchreiner

DevonSchreiner

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 30 July 2010 - 02:04 PM

You should check out some of TigerDirects bundles, I was pretty surprised when I stumbled on them the other day for the first time.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/ca...lc.asp?CatId=31
Devon Schreiner
Tech Blog - TheTechBlender.com
Personal Website - DevonSchreiner.com
Twitter - @DevonSchreiner

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 31 July 2010 - 12:20 AM

That's a decent build, though not that spectacular, you left out a case. Here's an idea, but you will go over your $500 budget slightly.

Case: COOLER MASTER Elite 330 RC-330-KKN1-GP - I'm not sure if you need this or if you are going to be reusing your old case. This is a mid-ATX case that is inexpensive, but people seem to like it. $39

Motherboard: ASRock 770 EXTREME3 AM3 AMD 770 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard - Don't bother with AM2 systems, they are obsolete and may not take CPU's from AMD's AM3r2 socket when it is released next year. This is a budget board with the 770 chipset. $74

CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition Callisto 3.2GHz - A dual core is fine for those two games since they don't put much pressure on the hardware. However, if you are planning to keep this computer for six years or so, you may want to invest in a low-end quad, like the AMD Athlon II X4 635 Propus 2.9GHz. $100

RAM: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 - More than enough RAM. Remember, you need a 64-bit OS to use 4GB or more of RAM. $81

Graphics Card: SAPPHIRE 100283-3L Radeon HD 5770 1GB - This 5770 will run circles around the GTS 250, which is really a rebranded 9800 GTX. If the 5770 is too pricey, the PowerColor AX5750 1GBD5-H Radeon HD 5750 1GB will also outperform the GTS 250. $149 (Before $15 mail-in rebate)

Power Supply: OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ500MXSP 500W - I like OCZ's power supplies, consider Corsair, Silverstone, PC Power, SeaSonic, and Thermaltake PSU's too. $59 (Before $20 mail-in rebate)

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue WD3200AAKS 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache - Plenty of room for most people. $50

Optical Drive: LITE-ON CD/DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model iHAS124-04 - I don't know if you're going to reuse your old optical drive. $19

Grand Total: $576 (Before taxes, shipping and rebates)

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users