Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

trouble with internet connection Win98-2nd ed

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 toenail

toenail

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 30 July 2010 - 10:14 AM

I have an older (2000/2001) Dell 733 desktop running Windows 98 second edition. For the past few years it has sat boxed because local cable installers told me that it was too old to be compatible with modern high speed modem. I find this a little hard to believe, but thought maybe the installer just didn't know how to configure properly. I know it's not plug-n-play like the more recent stuff, but seems like it should be usable for just internet browsing.

Any thoughts on how to get this up and running on the net?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 30 July 2010 - 01:15 PM

Hi and welcome to the form!!

First thing to check is that the system does have a network card and that it is functioning properly.
Click start - settings - control panel - system icon - device manager tab.
Look under the network adapters category & see what it reports there. Any yellow circles with an exclamation point in it or a red X? Pls post back what device manager reports there.

If everything appears ok in device manager, and you have a router, you should be able to just plug it in and go.

Be advised that there is not much left in the way of anti-virus or anti-malware programs that still work with 98
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 toenail

toenail
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:36 AM

Thanks for the response. I need to haul this in from storage and de-box before I try again. Is it not worth it to web browse without current anit-virus/malware? I was using it a few years ago issue-free. Hate to go through the motions if it's going to lock up on me a week in.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 20 August 2010 - 02:14 PM

If your computer has a valid network card installed then it can work with any modern broadband that is available. Your only issue will be probably streaming content and gaming.

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2010 - 09:27 PM

Thanks for the response. I need to haul this in from storage and de-box before I try again. Is it not worth it to web browse without current anit-virus/malware? I was using it a few years ago issue-free. Hate to go through the motions if it's going to lock up on me a week in.

You can surf the web, but be very careful where you venture, being that you do not have much protection from potential Internet threats.

As cryptodan mentioned, I think you'll find enjoyment using your computer doing normal surfing. However you will most likely have some issues with streaming media and a few web pages that may not display special effects do to the lack of a flash player that supports Windows 98.

But hey, I still have Windows 98 installations disks and I will never depart with those, because I have many DOS shell games that run quite well on Windows 98.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 21 August 2010 - 09:28 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#6 DrSatanDracula

DrSatanDracula

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2010 - 07:51 PM

As the others say:

Check to see if you have a network card.

If you do, you will almost assuredly be able to connect to the net.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users