Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Windows XP won't install

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_SteinPooch_*

Guest_SteinPooch_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 30 July 2010 - 06:45 AM

Hokay, so...

I recently wiped two hard drives with a livecd program called DBAN (www.dban.org, and no, not Debian) but I had to turn the computer off halfway through the wipe. Both hard drives are 250GB, both Dell. I was able to install Kubuntu Linux onto one hard drive, and so far it's worked out great. But the second hard drive however, is a problem. I tried to install XP (SP3) to it, but the installer said that there wasn't an XP friendly partition on there, even as the installer MADE one. So I used GPARTED Live to make an NTFS Partition on that hard drive. I tried the install again, but the XP Partitioner said, yet again, that there was no XP friendly partition. My question is, should I wipe only the f-ed up hard drive fully so that theres nothing on it (no bad partitions, anything like that) and then attempt the install again? Also, I've used this same XP Disk (Slipstreamed SP3) before, and the cd isn't scratched at all.

Thanks!

--Steinpooch of The Atari Nebula.

Edited by SteinPooch, 30 July 2010 - 06:46 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,271 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2010 - 08:37 AM

Run the appropriate hard drive diagnostic on the drive in question?

Louis

#3 Guest_SteinPooch_*

Guest_SteinPooch_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 30 July 2010 - 10:20 AM

Ah right.... that would make sense. I'll post back with results.

#4 Guest_SteinPooch_*

Guest_SteinPooch_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 30 July 2010 - 10:43 AM

Unfortunately when I used DBAN (www.dban.org, sorry I have to give credit) it wiped the Utility Partition from the hard drive. I am running Kubuntu 10.04 right now, would there be any way to run said diagnostics from Kubuntu? If I have to I'll run DBAN on the f-ed up hard drive using a quick de-format just to see what happens.

And P.S, I know you guys are totally against pirating, but is it legal to download an XP OEM cd image from say a place like the pirate bay? The one that came with my computer broke, and I ran a diagnostic on the slipstreamed CD i had (the one that i mentioned in my first post) on my Mac and it said that something on the cd was corrupted. (And I just wanted to make sure it's legal to download something if you already own[ed] it.)

Edited by SteinPooch, 30 July 2010 - 10:44 AM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,271 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 30 July 2010 - 11:39 AM

<>

Since you already knew the answer...I don't even know why you typed it.

Discussion Forum Rules - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/boardrules.php

"No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences."

Hard drive diagnostics...don't have any dependency on anything that is stored on the drive...your comment about the utility partition...has nothing to do with running the appropriate hard drive diagnostic, downloadable from the website of the respective hard drive manufacturer.

Bootable Hard Drive Diagnostics - Vox - http://usasma.vox.com/library/post/bootabl...iagnostics.html

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 30 July 2010 - 11:39 AM.

#6 Guest_SteinPooch_*

Guest_SteinPooch_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 30 July 2010 - 12:54 PM

Okay I'll check up on those... and also you didn't read the entire question on the XP OEM thing. If I already technically own the cd (it's just destroyed and lost) it isn't considered pirating correct?

#7 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2010 - 01:23 PM

Microsoft never made any version of windows legally downloadable from the internet. So the short answer is yes it is pirating. You also do not know for certain that it is a clean, fully functional and unaltered copy of Windows.
Consider the name of the site.

Assuming you have XP home, you can legally borrow a genuine XP cd from someone and use your installation key to install it.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,271 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2010 - 02:09 PM

I will amend Eyesee's statement...there are downloadble versions of Windows available...directly from the Microsoft website.

Any other source is (obviously) an unauthorized, illegal act of piracy.

One important thing which some folks choose to ignore...much of the pirated versions of software which are available illegally on the Web...also have a high chance of containing malware of all sorts. Those who choose to use such obviously have no legal recourse at all for any harm/damage/invasion/manipulation which subsequently takes place on their systems.

Perhaps that's why there seems to be such a rampant proliferation of systems where owners/users seek malware assistance on the Internet.

Louis

#9 rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 30 July 2010 - 02:43 PM

You can probably get a Dell cd from the dell website. Try this http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...&redirect=1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users