Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mouse problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rizqe

rizqe

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 30 July 2010 - 06:45 AM

Hi!

I have a problem with the mouse I'm using.

Whenever I plug it in, the computer doesn't always detect it. And when it does, the Firefox browser acts weird. I can't click tabs even when the mouse is working responds when I move it around. I try using the laptop mouse to click tabs, and it doesn't work either! The cursor does move wherever I direct it, but left and right clicking won't work with either the external mouse of the laptop mouse. I can't also click the tools in the browser like FILE, EDIT, VIEW, etc. This doesn't happen with just the browser. Just about anything I click doesn't respond. Excel and word files, folders... I have to wait for a few minutes, and they start to respond to the clicks. But after a few seconds they don't again.

I thought maybe the Genius mouse I was using (which I just bought!) was defective. So I tried using a different mouse (older), but the same things happened.

I did a full system scan with Avira Free Edition, and it did detected a couple of things. I already deleted them from the system. But the mouse was still not acting right.

HOWEVER, this morning, I had the older mouse plugged in before I turned the laptop on. And everything worked fine with the old mouse. Then I thought, maybe since the antivirus detected and removed some meanies the newer Genius mouse would work fine, too. So I plugged that in... and everything started acting up again! I plugged the older mouse back in but it wouldn't work well any longer.

I'm really sorry for the long-winded explanation. I guess what I'm asking is if a mouse could bring in a virus or something? Because the browsers and stuff only start to act weird after I plug in that new Genius mouse.

I hope someone can shed some light into this mystery. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_SteinPooch_*

Guest_SteinPooch_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 30 July 2010 - 11:04 AM

You said the older mouse worked fine when you booted with it already plugged in. I would recommend doing the same thing with the Genius mouse (assuming it's wired.) Also, run a virus scan with Malwarebytes (www.malwarebytes.org.) If that doesn't find anything, run a System Restore to a date when this issue wasn't happening. If Malwarebytes DOES find something(s) delete them, and pull a restart, then if the issue still goes on, run a System Restore.

#3 Barajiqal

Barajiqal

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2010 - 11:25 AM

What kind of mouse Usb? Sometimes they can take a bit to register and start working. You could also have a flakey mouse. Have you checked your event viewer to see if you are getting some sort of errors?

-Bar
"I am Become Death, Destroyer of Worlds" - (Verse 32 Chapter 11 of the Bhagavad Gita) Robert J Oppenheimer

"Any Man Who Has a Habit and Cannot Bear to Share it Should not Have the Habit at All" - Misqoute From Rolland of Gillead in the Stephen King Series The Dark Tower

#4 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 30 July 2010 - 02:35 PM

Don't have a Genius mouse, but their WWW page has a support section with not too interesting FAQs and a place to download drivers depending on what kind of device you have - is is wireless?

If the moose prefers it's own driver, you would want to get it from their WWW site.

http://www.geniusnet.com/

Edited by joseibarra, 30 July 2010 - 02:35 PM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#5 rizqe

rizqe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 01 August 2010 - 07:13 AM

@steinpooch: I'll scan the laptop with Malwarebytes and let you know the result. I'm a bit reluctant to do the System Restore thing because I've never tried it before and I might mess things up. :thumbsup:

@Barajigal: The mouse model is Genius NetScroll 311. I checked Event Viewer and there were some errors. What do I do with this information?

@joseibarra:I did download the driver but I don't have any idea how to use it. I've already installed it, and there's a Genius icon on the right part of the taskbar. But I don't know what to do with it. ^^;

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users