Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Media Edition fauly media player

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Nicenic61

Nicenic61

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 30 July 2010 - 06:33 AM

Folks,

Running Windows XP Media Center Edition Version 2002 with service pack 3.

Had problems with Media Center television since I installed various Net bits ages ago. Had ehshell.exe error and therefore no video but reinstalled Net version 1.1 and that got rid of it. However, the problem has now moved to 'missing components' so still no media player.

Doesn't seem to be much on this elsewhere but a few others have the same problem. Can't find a decent fix. Any help welcome.

Nicholas

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 30 July 2010 - 08:29 AM

I don't know anything about MCE...but what are the system provisions for repairs/reinstalls of the O/S?

'Missing components" could be interpreted as either a hardware or a software problem, IMO.

What is the exact error message, please?

Have you checked Event Viewer for possible clues? Have you checked Device Manager for indications of hardware problems?

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Louis

#3 Nicenic61

Nicenic61
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2010 - 09:36 AM

Louis,

I'm pretty sure this is not a hardware problem, from searching the Internet I get the impression it's something to do with Net version 1.1 or some other update/revision/patch messing up Media Player.

Error message, which appears in the Media Cente window is pretty useles and states 'Critical Process Failure - A control media center process has unexpectedly failed. If problems persist, please restart your m/c and try again (ha, ha) or contact technical support (very ha, ha). Code 3'

Windows event viewer shows error 4, and when clicked on comes up with a box which includes:

tv tuner malfunction (0x80040265)713x BDA analog tuner

but I'm adamant from searching the net that it's actually the software, I'm just not clever enough to resolve it! When I click the link to Microsoft it says there is no recorded solution...

There is something about it here:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2.../18/482472.aspx

I've tried reinstalling Net 1.1 and tried reinstalling Media Centre using cmd but I have no idea if I managed to do it properly, although Media Center now starts from scratch/set up every time so I must have got something right. Can't seem to reinstall Media Centre any other way.

Any help would be appreciated but I'm tempted to just go and buy a tele....

Nicholas

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2010 - 10:54 AM

Another link, same source you posted, http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2.../17/534559.aspx.

Net 1.1 and 1.0 are outdated and have been replaced by later versions of NET Framework. Not sure why you think NET is the problem, but...why not uninstall the outdated versions (using Add/Remove Programs) and install a later version of your choice?

While version 4.0 is now out, I would not install that. Version, 3.5, SP1 seems to do the trick for those of us who need NET installed for given apps to behave properly.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 30 July 2010 - 12:55 PM.
Corrected link :).

#5 Nicenic61

Nicenic61
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2010 - 11:46 AM

Louis,

You are genius, I got rid of Net 4 (or whatever it's called), reinstalled Net 3.5 from your link (which is German!) and then executed the commands in the additional link that you sent, without actually having any idea of what I was doing, rebooted and .........it works!

May your God go with you.

Back to daytime tv while I work.

Nicholas

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2010 - 12:57 PM

Sorry about the link in German...I don't know how that happened, guess that I'm not overly observant with links I visit routinely...now corected to English version ;).

Glad your issues seem to be resolved now, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users