Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Sound in Vista.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cmaze

cmaze

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 30 July 2010 - 06:12 AM

I have a Dell Dimension E520 (purchases in 2007) that I had a failed power supply so I installed a new powersupply (Antec Earthwatts 430W). This has added power relative to the 305 W that came with the original box from Dell.

After installing the new powersupply I am not getting any sound. In the control panel it shows everything to be working properly I have tried to uninstall the driver and boot, and reinstall the driver, and reboot but with no success (2-Sigmatel High definition Audio Codec).

The speakers are plugged in and powered, and you can hear them when you plug the wire into the back of the computer. Also as the system is booting up you hear a doink, from the speakers then get no sound.

On my purchase list, the sound card is shown to be a Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio. Speakers are a set from my old computer altec lansing ACS 33 w/subwoofer. I have checked volume on the speakers (and power as indicated by sound noted above). I have also made sure the volume icon has volume.

Should I be looking for a driver? or trouble shooting something else? Thanks in advance for any help you can deliver. Note: if you play a youtube video, you can faintly hear sound coming from what appears to be the computer box, but is not coming from the speakers.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2010 - 10:25 AM

You've run the Sound Troubleshooter?

You might also consider running the DirectX diagnostic.

Louis

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2010 - 01:28 PM

What color is the jack that your speakers are plugged into?
It should be the lime green one
Double check that just in case
In the beginning there was the command line.

#4 cmaze

cmaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2010 - 02:33 PM

Eyesee:

Thanks a ton, boy do I feel stupid, I had plugged the speaker wire into the receiving port in my cable tv receiving card. The lime green plug i had put into the sound receiver was likely coming from the monitor (which likely has a small included sound system which is why I faintly heard some sound on streaming video. I will have to trace the wire but its hard getting back there with my desk set up)

:thumbsup:

Best regards
Christopher

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2010 - 02:37 PM

Glad you got it sorted out!

Since all you did was replace the power supply, I felt certain that it had to be plugged in wrong
In the beginning there was the command line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users