Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help needing establishing secure connection

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Baylynx

Baylynx

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 29 July 2010 - 11:56 PM

Hello,

My PC (Dell Dimention 4100) runs XP and was recently infected with Win32:Vitro, as well as two other trojans, so I shut it down and disconnected it. I only have a laptop now and an unsecured network.

Funny thing... I never worried about securing my network that was installed out of the box five years ago. I know... the horse is out of the barn, but I've learned a painful lesson. So I'm now trying to secure my network and immediately ran into difficulties.

Problem #1: When I attempt to connect to 192.168.0.1 I'm prompted to enter username and password. When I tried it this morning, the default username was Server2/Agent. I entered a new username and password and was able to proceed. I wasn't sure what I was supposed to do then, so I closed everything down. I tried later to again login the same way, but received the following response:

401 Unauthorized
Access to this resource is denied; your client has not supplied the correct authentication

I'm entering the same username and password I used this morning, but now it won't work. Can you help me set up or retrieve my username/password?

Problem #2: Can I secure the network from my laptop? Since I have active viruses on my PC and have yet to backup my files, I don't dare place it online again to run virus scans or setup network security. I need some guidance on how to properly secure my router/PC card network. I watched a YouTube video on How To Secure a Router Network and it looked easy, but my screen display looks very different from what was shown on the video.

Can you help me? Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Retirednow

Retirednow

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 30 July 2010 - 01:15 AM

Here is basic help.
http://compnetworking.about.com/od/homenet...erconfigure.htm

Go here for the security.