Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pop-up Blocker

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Tiara25

Tiara25

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 25 October 2005 - 08:19 AM

First of all I hope this is in the right forum. Sorry if its not :thumbsup:

I've been trying to play onloine games on pogo.com and there are 2 that I cant cause it says I have a pop-up blocker installed. The only 1 I KNOW I have is with yahoo companion and even with it disabled I still cant play those games. I sent pogo a message explaining this and they just gave me some hints on how to disable or override my blocker. Which ive already tried. Is there anyway I can tell if I have another blocker somewhere on this stupid computer? lol
Oh and ive also tried 2 pop-up tests and they both allowed the pop ups.....HELP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 splackavellie

splackavellie

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 25 October 2005 - 08:36 AM

what browser are you using? i think firefox and IE have built-in pop up blockers. try disabling those if you havent already and see if that works

#3 Tiara25

Tiara25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2005 - 09:11 AM

hey thanks for the reply. I use IE 6.0 and I cant seem to find the blocker for it. Everywhere Ive searched it says its in the tools menu but its not there. Any other suggestions?

#4 splackavellie

splackavellie

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 26 October 2005 - 07:09 PM

on mine its under Tools -> Pop-up Blocker. what are your options under tools?

Edited by splackavellie, 26 October 2005 - 07:10 PM.

#5 Tiara25

Tiara25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2005 - 09:29 AM

on mine its under Tools -> Pop-up Blocker. what are your options under tools?

Hi Splackavellie
Thanks for writing back.
The only options I have under tools are...

Mail and news
syncronize
windows update
windows messanger
show related links
icq lite
yahoo messanger
sun java console
and internet options.

Hope this helps.
:thumbsup:

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 31 October 2005 - 10:01 AM

Try Tools>Internet Options>Privacy> bottom of the window.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#7 Tiara25

Tiara25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2005 - 10:18 AM

It doesnt say anything about pop-up blocker in there, all it has is cookie stuff. I have the slider at medium and i added the website to the always allow list already, thinking that might help but it didnt. :thumbsup:

Any other suggestions :flowers:
Thanks

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2005 - 10:25 AM

I may have made a mistake. Are you using XP? If not you don't have the MS Popup block. It is only on XP. What OS are you using?

#9 Tiara25

Tiara25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2005 - 10:34 AM

I may have made a mistake. Are you using XP? If not you don't have the MS Popup block. It is only on XP. What OS are you using?

Yup I have XP pro.

#10 Tiara25

Tiara25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2005 - 11:24 PM

Just wanted to give any1 who can help an "update" i guess you could call it.
While I was searching around the internet trying to get help for this question I read that I should check under security center in control panel to see if my pop-up blicker is on and to change the settings. When i clicked on it it said the following .... The security center is currently not available because the service has not been started or has been stopped..then goes on to say to restart the computer and try again, which i did. But it still wouldnt start. It also doesnt give me the option to restart it or install it. Even though this feature isnt working or turned on could the pop-up blocker still be there somehow?
Dont know if this has anything to do with it I just thought ya should know!
Thanks again for trying to help.

#11 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 01 November 2005 - 02:38 AM

Have you got up-to-date anti-virus and anti-spyware on your system? Something could have disabled your security centre for malicious reasons.

Also if you ever find your pop-up blocker you don't need to disable the whole thing to run games from a particuler site, you can just add the site's URL to the bloker's exclusion list. At least you can in Firefox :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#12 Tiara25

Tiara25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2005 - 10:44 AM

Have you got up-to-date anti-virus and anti-spyware on your system? Something could have disabled your security centre for malicious reasons.

Also if you ever find your pop-up blocker you don't need to disable the whole thing to run games from a particuler site, you can just add the site's URL to the bloker's exclusion list. At least you can in Firefox :thumbsup:

I have Nortons antivirus and yes its up to date, but the only spyware thing I have is the yahoo toolbar, which has been doing the trick. Honestly though I dont remember ever having the pop-up blocker on that comes with xp.
Oh I also have adaware. So Im going to run it and nortons to see if either of them catch anything.
I'll let ya know!
Thanks

#13 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2005 - 11:33 AM

I have used AdAware SE to flush out malware/spyware/virus' for the AntiVirus program to catch. It's free and if you do not get the desired results you can just uninstall it.

#14 Tiara25

Tiara25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2005 - 12:50 PM

I have used AdAware SE to flush out malware/spyware/virus' for the AntiVirus program to catch. It's free and if you do not get the desired results you can just uninstall it.

Hi
I just did the virus scan and the adaware scan and neither of them caught anything out of the ordinary. Do you know of anyway, other then the regular online pop-up blocker tests, to look and see if I do have another blocker that is just blocking certain sites or certain windows from being able to come up? Would it tell in a hijack this log? I'm going to maybe try uninstalling my yahoo toolbar and see if that does anything. I'll let ya know and if ya could let me know about the hijackthis log it'd be great.
Thanks again
Tiara

#15 Tiara25

Tiara25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2005 - 01:27 PM

I just wanted to let you know that i just realized that in my network connections it says that I am firewalled. What the heck does that mean and would that have anything to do with why I cant play games. Also how did it happen? How did I get firewalled? And how do I turn it off?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users