Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How I got here... It all started back in 1998, just before Bill took over Hotmail...

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 liamari

liamari

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 29 July 2010 - 10:38 PM

The chicken crossed the road because it was there. in the way, right in front of him or her.

The humans probably, without thinking (They never do), stuck the road in the way, as they usually do, between the house and the barn. My answer to the whole chicken\road thing is, 'because it was in the way.' Running right down the middle between the house (food scraps) and the barn (Sanctuary)

This also explains roadkill... and why I am here... well, eventually that will make sense.

Chickens don't do a whole lot of thinking as far as I can tell. I love them, but they sure like to keep things simple. They tend to have a one track mind. More like an 8-track mind that occasionally switches tracks in the middle of a song. For chickens, and the rest of us, food is right up there with oxygen and water.

Okay, it's not much that I am oblivious to roadblocks... as I just figure, they are something in the way, that I have to get past... so I'm just going to do it. Hurdles, obstacles... just things in the way, like roads are to animals. Straight across them is usually best, in these types of situations. Swamps are different stories altogether!

Calvin and Hobbes:

C- "Live for the moment, that's my motto. You never know when you might step out into the street and *SPLAT* get hit by a bus. What's your motto?"
H- "Look down the road"

There's some happy middle ground in that thought somewhere.

Anyway, as I said, it *might* make sense later on. On with the story of the thin little threads that got me here.

Way back in 1998, I found out I had an older brother that I never knew I had! I thought (politically correct version), heck, that's everlovin' cool!

I asked my mother if she would like some help finding him... she said something to the effect of, 'that would be nice hun', not thinking for a minute that it would actually happen.

10 months later, after first learning how to turn a computer on, finding the "any" key and figuring out that HTML didn't stand for HOTMAIL, I found my brother. (It's still going fantastic, thank you for asking)

While in the process of trying to find my brother, and the whole reason that it took so long to find my brother, I was trying to cross all the roads and obstacles in my way! (I lean towards the look down 'em as opposed to just jumping on in... I'm not much of a gambler)

A poem my grandfather had in his house:

Stepping Stone
~Anonymous!~

Isn't it strange that princes and kings,
and clowns that caper in sawdust rings,
and common folk like you and me,
are builders for eternity?

To each is given a bag of tools,
a shapeless mass and a set of rules,
and each must fashion ere life is flown,
a stumbling block or a stepping stone.

After learning how to turn the computer on, I had to learn how to steer it... then I had to find my way around the web... picking up bits and pieces along the way, much like I pick up stones and bird feathers when I travel now.

One day I saw that I had the greatest 'Adoption Search and Reunion' website in 'my documents'. I had to share it, somehow. It took me 10 months to find all the information I, and anyone else searching would need, I saw what a resource it was. I had to put it out there.

So I had to learn how to make websites. (here's where I brag a bit)

For a few years I ran a site called, "Lia's Links, Adoption search and reunion" At first, just a few people from the chat rooms I haunted while I was searching for my brother came to my site... then word got out and the next thing you know I have a 200 page site with 20,000 hits a month... I was giving information away free. Because it shouldn't cost you anything to find your family, and it shouldn't be that hard!

I had to learn how to do chats, and emails and lists and and and and... hurdles... roadblocks.

One day... shortly after Bill Gates took over Hotmail and really fouled it up, he lost all of my emails... all of them, not just some of them, everything. I tried to work with the folks at Hotmail, but eventually got a note basically saying that I really needed to get over it.

That kinda set me off I have to say. I have patience to a point... apparently not a high enough point because I shot off an email, through layers of Hotmail staff, aimed at Bill Gates desk.

I should have cooled off first, but I said something to the effect that I thought Bill might have named his company after his reproductive organs... ahem. BLUSH (It still bugs me that I let him get to me like that!)

And I am sure this is all unrelated, but darned if the very next day my computer didn't crash! Thankfully, "Lia's Links" was safe out on the net, nestled in Heartland Pointe at GeoCities.

(Here's where you learn about The Big Bad Wolf... no, not Bill, the other wolf)

"My brother's wife's sister-in-law's cousin's husband works on computers in his basement for cheap" Had this crash happened before the whole "Micro and Soft" email to Bill, I might have entertained the idea of asking Bill if he would donate a computer to the cause... but I figured he wouldn't be interested anymore for sure. I think he sent aliens to hover over my house... sometimes they come back. So I took the cousin's husband up on his offer.

The cousin's brother gleefully came to my house to pick my computer up... I had gone online and bought myself a brandie-new 15gig HD for him to put in, after he [hopefully] rescued my pictures.

He brought my 'puter back a few days later... and when it started up it didn't say "FIREBALL" anymore... it said, "DELL" or some such thing... crap. He said, don't worry... sometimes you have to convince a hard drive that it's name is different. Then he vanished into the night... never to be seen again.

I called him up, once it finished loading and I didn't have a modem. I left a message... 'where are my files? my pictures? Why is it so slow??? why does it say it's a 1gig HD? whazup with that"

He returned my calls a week or so later, and said if I could prove something was in there, he would give it back. My memory, my motherboard, my cd drive,, my modem, everything had been taken out and replaced with... um, garbage he was tossing from other people's broken computers.

Needless to say, I had to learn how to fix computers... or at least... keep them running until I can afford to buy another one.

Eventually, I was considered a bit of a geek, a VERY little bit of a geek, and I helped people for free when their only other option was incineration... I knew how to reformat and reload windows. (checking myelf in the mirror, I rock! GIGGLE)

My old computer eventually died. Right about the time I had just enough money to buy this here laptop. Brandie-new $2000 buckeroos including a USB port light, a hard case and shoulder strap! Unfortunately, I was offline for a few months. (This will also make sense later)

I was living the life with my NEW laptop! THIS computer is going to last. THIS computer is not leaving my sight. THIS computer will be running in 20 years, the last of it's kind. THIS computer is kickin'! This was in 2000... 10 years ago.

This kickin' computer made me complacent. I simultaneously lost my mind, moved into a camper with my kickin' computer and hit the road (That thing that was in the way).

My kickin' computer ran like a top without so much as a hiccup, cough or sneeze. I started studying other things... Technology ran on ahead while I was looking for a hankie to cover my nose with to ride out the sudden dust storm. Meanwhile, I was learning this baby inside and out. (Which means I know NOTHING about ANYTHING that evolved after the year 2000, I was like one of those seventies guys you see here and there... listening to bat outta hell and moving their lips.)

Eventually this new computer turned into an old computer and got a little sick, some kind of bug or other. I was living on the road now... and didn't have the money to get antivirus... so I DL'd a free version of something or other that told me which files were infected, then I would just go into 'windows explorer' and delete the little buggers.

That worked pretty good until last year. Something got me so bad Windows wouldn't start. I didn't have the money to buy another computer... and my pictures I couldn't lose my pictures! So I did the unthinkable no-no and installed a second version of Windows on my hard drive without partitioning it... because I didn't know how to partition it.

It's not been all that bad... I got my pictures back... there's hiccups and coughs here and there. Nothing I wasn't willing to live with. (as opposed to bringing her to someone's brother's uncle's friend, and considering her age, she still drove like a dream as far as I was concerned.)

Then, just last week... I got a nasty bug... This one had a name... "NetSky" I have heard the genius who wrote it went to jail at some point... I can't for the life of me understand... well... anyway. I am sure he wasn't exacting some personal vendetta against me, unlike Bill. [seriously, I KNOW that was just a coincidence.]

I started to scour the net for a new free anti-virus program because, burning a second copy of Windows onto an un-partitioned hard drive can do funky things to programs... NOT recommended.

And now, here I am.

Nice to meet you all, I look forward to reading your introductions.

Answers to unanswered questions"

Q: What happened to Lia's Links? I only find broken remnant links when I google it?
A: When my first computer died, I asked for someone out there in cyberspace to take over the site. I was not sure I would ever have the money to get another computer. Those few months without a computer.... if I could only go back...

I asked for help and soon a man said he would care for the site. By then it was nearly on auto-pilot. Everything you ever needed to know was there, cross referenced. All he really had to do was keep the links updated... change some text if a law changed.

A few months later, when I had this computer.. my site was gone, and so was the guy who said he would care for it.

Yes, I have thought about starting the site back up. But it seems other sites have filled the gap, and the bases are covered. They don't need me anymore.

Q: What do you do now that you don't do Lia's Links?
A: I am a wandering half-starving artist. I still help people, these days mostly I pick up young people I meet on the road who need help, a bit of family, an older sister to help them find home.

I have done some volunteer *work* at colleges. Joining groups for rape prevention, I was in a documentary about domestic violence, I did a lot of jumping up and down at intersections with signs for different causes.

Mostly now I just live in the woods, without electricity or running water. I travel around the country, find someone with land to rent, sell my wares or get work in construction, or I barter. I go to town once in a while for supplies, or to work sometimes. To Download more information to study. (Car+inverter+computer= a fun night in the woods reading books I otherwise would not have the opportunity to read.)

I come out of the woods to visit, to get supplies, to do the best I can to help people out there, because people out there sure do hurt a lot. I live a pretty simple wandering life... meandering my way to enlightenment.

Q: How does all this tie into the chicken and the road story?
A: I forget

Love and Light,
Lia

NOTICE: Where it not for the kindness, and generousity of time from "THCBYTES", I would not be making this post from my horribly infected computer.

(Clapping wildly) HIP HIP HOORAY!
~A candle loses none of it's light by lighting another candle.~

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thcbytes

thcbytes

• Malware Response Team
  • 14,790 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 29 July 2010 - 11:18 PM

Wow. An absolutely amazing sequence of events! You are indeed one of a kind. Welcome to the Bleeping Computer family. :thumbsup:
Proud member - Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators
Posted Image

I do not accept personal donations for assistance provided. I would ask that you instead consider donating the greatest gift - Organ Donation. Your organs are of no use to you when your gone. You will save a life that would otherwise be lost!

http://donatelife.net/register-now/

#3 liamari

liamari
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2010 - 11:49 PM

Muchos gracias amigo/a!

Amor y luce,
Thalia Mariposa (A.K.A. : Lia Mari)

(Did I mention that I met some people while I was on the road who are from Mexico, I have been learning Spanish in trade for English.)

Edited by liamari, 29 July 2010 - 11:52 PM.

#4 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2010 - 11:11 PM

:thumbsup: to BC!

T does a great job with malware removal. Now if we could only clone him :flowers:

Take care...

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#5 liamari

liamari
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2010 - 12:01 PM

HE... Hmmmm.

Yes... the world needs more hes like him for sure... GRIN. We could use a few more you like you as well, I am sure.

It's probably okay that we can't clone him though... I heard Dolly the 'clonesheep' isn't with us anymore... which means most likely a clone would have a short shelf life and be disposable, where thcbyes certainly is not. (I'd be willing to bet you are not either)

SMILE... nice to meet you. (Sticking out my hand for a shake)

Love and Light,
Lia

Edited by liamari, 31 July 2010 - 12:02 PM.

#6 thcbytes

thcbytes

• Malware Response Team
  • 14,790 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2010 - 02:47 PM

Grown man blushing now.... :thumbsup:

To be perfectly honest I am just another of an entire board of generous, caring, intelligent helpers here at BC! I am simply a reflection of those around me. The BC community is indeed special.
Proud member - Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators
Posted Image

I do not accept personal donations for assistance provided. I would ask that you instead consider donating the greatest gift - Organ Donation. Your organs are of no use to you when your gone. You will save a life that would otherwise be lost!

http://donatelife.net/register-now/

#7 liamari

liamari
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2010 - 03:08 PM

Agreed

#8 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2010 - 06:15 PM

I was following, with great interest, your malware removal thread that thcbytes was helping you with but I cant seem to find it anymore!
I really wanted to see the outcome as it looked like a battle!!
In the beginning there was the command line.

#9 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2010 - 06:25 PM

liamari, welcome to BC :thumbsup: Your introduction post is quite interesting. Thank you for sharing a bit about yourself :flowers:

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#10 liamari

liamari
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2010 - 08:12 PM

I had noticed I had gained a few interested onlookers for whatever reason... I was just thinking that maybe I should create a post... the continuing saga... the soap opera version.

So far, I am still working on it... It's been... (shaking head) difficult. I am shocked and pleased thcbyes hasn't forsaken me.

The nutshell version from nearly virus free, sort of... is that I can go online on my computer... everything seems to be running pretty smoothly actually.

At one point I was home free... and suddenly I found myself, again, at the edge of the abyss... I can't for the life of me understand what happened. one minute everything was fine... the next minute it seemed I (and thc) had been working for days and got right back where we had started. (sigh)

I lucked out that my daughter's boyfriend has lent his computer to me to use while I work on mine, so I am able to follow directions from THC without 20 pages of handwritten notes.

THC brought me back from the edge... somehow. I honestly, someday, would like to learn to understand what I am doing and why. For now, THC says JUMP... I jump. THC says take two steps forward, I take two measured steps forward.

My photos are safe... my music is safe, and replaceable if need be. I am to a point where we are going to be trying to remove the broken down original version of Windows... WINDOWS1. I am currently sending copies of pictures that I put on my daughters computer to my flash drive... I figured I have the chance, I should back up the back up, just in case... overkill, time consuming, but man, when I get everything set, I will share some of the pictures...

For instance, my avatar.

I was on a beach at the Gulf of Mexico in Florida one day this spring, shortly after the oil well blew up.

I was feeding the seagulls, as I always do when at the beach, when my friend decided to take pictures. I wander this world alone, and there aren't all that many pictures of the trip... so I didn't mind.

I was really, very nearly flying with those seagulls. When I stand on tippy toes, so very little of me is really touching the ground... and if I lift one foot, just a little, with the wind and the birds flying all around my head... it is as near to flying with a flock of seagulls as you have ever been.

I highly recommend you try it... even those who think seagulls are just dirty birds, first, read 'Jonathan Livingston Seagull'... then try it.

And thanks to THC... I have this series of pictures back... to share, with other seagulls.

I have a series of pictures of what are called 'Witches windows' where I come from. I am not sure why, but those cock-eyed windows on a slant in New England, where a garage or addition was added on to the end of the house, and the upstairs window was turned on an angle.

I have pictures of the painted line in a parking lot and pond scum... of tadpoles and dog named D'artanian. Of ginger, and bugs, and bugs eating bugs... of milkweed, and other flowers, of sunsets and rises and cities flying by the windows... I won't ever be able to express how much it means to me to have all this back.

PLUS... bonus... the movies... of the kittens playing, and ants building a nest, of my nieces writing on the walls of my house. My daughter, my beautiful daughter laughing dancing and singing... my family sliding down the hill in sleds, a train of seven, going into the luge-like turn and losing the kid at the end, then the dog runs down the track, tail wagging to lick the faces of the fallen.

Movies of kids and hula hoops, of water running down the brook.

I don't suppose I really need these things... they are somewhere in my head... but I am glad I have them back just the same.

My research is important to me also. Well, what I call my research... I never went to a real college, though I did take sign language at a community college... When I got a computer, it was my ticket back into school. I have 10 years of files, webpages and pictures of things I am interested in. I have online books I have read, and some to read when I have a chance, I have papers that I have written, and pieces of a someday-book.

It seems somehow my odyssey is stored in this computer, on a HD. It's a long strange trip, I would hate to forget it, or lose it to a virus.

I have learned my lesson the hard way, from now on, I am bringing along protection when I run around on the net.

I have also learned, that there are people like me out there, wherever you are... people who are good and kind and giving and aren't looking to gain from your pain. (Launching into a tone-deaf version of "No Rain" by Blind Mellon... you know the one, the little bee girl has no friends, then, one day she finds a whole field of bee people and they laugh and dance and sing... No rain.

We bee people gotta stick together and help each other out as best we can... if I can, in my ignorance of computer science, help anyone, ever... holler.

~Fly like a seagull, to the sea, fly like a seagull let my spirit carry me I want to fly... ... ... oh... ... ... EAGLE... ... ... nevermind.

Love and Light,
Lia

#11 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2010 - 09:43 PM

Your avatar looks like you have the seagulls on a string, like a kite. It's a very intriguing picture.

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#12 bkribbs

bkribbs

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2010 - 09:55 PM

Wow. Thats really cool. Although a loooooooong post.

#13 liamari

liamari
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2010 - 10:05 PM

Long... I thought it was as short as sanguinely possible. GIGGLE.

I am wordy, and I do enjoy writing, and sharing... and reading... I've been reading a lot of posts in what I will refer to as "hold time".

Comparatively speaking, my posts are kind of longish. SMILE.

One of my brothers won't let me leave messages on his machine, he says I fill it up too much and don't leave room for customers.

It's something I've been working on.

Goodness! Look how short this post it!

Laughter!

Love and Light,
Lia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users