Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Router, "Limited or No Connectivity"

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DnDer

DnDer

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 29 July 2010 - 10:15 PM

Under the wireless networks, it tells me, "The problem occurred because the network did not assign a network address to the computer."

Background
Power outage and roomie didn't know better, and I wasn't there to stop him. Reset button on the back of my router was hit. I cannot connect to the net wirelessly in my home, despite having a direct connection to the router, and properly set up a 64-bit WEP key (I've had problems in the past with picking up signals if they encryption is set to 128-bit, and I've settled for "some is better than none").

"Topology"
Forgive me if I used the word wrong.

Cable modem -> Belkin Wireless G Plus MIMO router -> macbook (cabled to router), Vista desktop (cabled to router), XP SP3 machine (wireless)

XP machine has a Belkin Wireless G Desktop Card in it.

. . .

It was a real simple setup I had working before, but it's been so long since I had to set it up that I've forgotten what I did to get it working in the first place. Suggestions, tips?

Edited by Pandy, 31 July 2010 - 12:19 AM.
Moved from External Harware to Networking at the request of the OP ~Pandy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DnDer

DnDer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2010 - 10:17 PM

I'm thinking that I should turn the DHCP server off and assign IP addresses... but that means meddling with each individual computer, and I was hoping for a one-point fix, since I never had to manually configure them before...

#3 MattV

MattV

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 31 July 2010 - 01:52 AM

If you are running Vista, even M$ probably can not help you.

#4 DnDer

DnDer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2010 - 10:26 AM

The vista computer is connected to the router by a cable. It has no problems.

It's the XP computer that won't connect wirelessly.

#5 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 02 August 2010 - 07:07 AM

Under network connections right click the name of your wireless network connection go to properties>internet protocol version 4(TCIPv4) make sure obtain an ip address is assigned automatically and DNS server address is set to automatic., this should be the same on the router.
HP Compaq 6715b Notebook--AMD Turionx2 2.2Ghz 64 Mobile TL-64--4GB DDR2 667Mhz--Compaq 6715b--fujitsu siemens 500GB sataII Internal, Toshiba 1TB EXT HD Backup--IGP ATI Radeon x1250 128MB--Broadcom a\b\g Wlan adapter built in, Sonicwall TZ100, Dlink DSL 2740b--Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and linux ubuntu dual boot--Firefox 4.0 &IE8--Eset Firewall--Nod32 antivirus & Spyware Doctor--Malwarebytes anti malware.

#6 DnDer

DnDer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2010 - 12:33 PM

I ended up manually assigning an IP address to the computer, within the router's address block.

But my connection properties, on both the router and computer were DHCP. One was supposed to pick up the IP automatically, and one was supposed to give the IP automatically.

What a headache. But it is working now.

Thanks!

#7 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 04 August 2010 - 04:25 PM

No worries :thumbsup:
HP Compaq 6715b Notebook--AMD Turionx2 2.2Ghz 64 Mobile TL-64--4GB DDR2 667Mhz--Compaq 6715b--fujitsu siemens 500GB sataII Internal, Toshiba 1TB EXT HD Backup--IGP ATI Radeon x1250 128MB--Broadcom a\b\g Wlan adapter built in, Sonicwall TZ100, Dlink DSL 2740b--Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and linux ubuntu dual boot--Firefox 4.0 &IE8--Eset Firewall--Nod32 antivirus & Spyware Doctor--Malwarebytes anti malware.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users